Fish cake is a baked dough with fish filling. In shape, it can be anything: rectangular, oval, round, in the shape of a heart - just give free rein to your imagination! Fish pie can be made from any dough: yeast, puff, unleavened, etc. The number of such baking recipes is huge. Fish cake is not just a hearty and tasty dish, but also a great decoration for a festive, as well as an everyday table, it is meetings with loved ones and socializing with family and friends.
Fish pies deservedly occupy an honorable place on the Russian table. This is a truly national dish, come down to us from time immemorial. Such a long-term existence of the favorite dish made it possible to significantly improve the traditionally baked fish dish, “dilute” it with other components, ideally combined in taste with delicate dough and the main stuffing. Rice, potatoes, mushrooms, cheese, vegetables, herbs, spices - and this is far from an exhaustive list of what you can add to fish pie.
As you know, cakes are open, semi-closed and closed. We strictly bake fish products according to the closed type, that is, we seal the filling tightly on all sides with dough. This rule should always be followed to prevent moisture loss and product drying. Any variety of fish is suitable as a raw material. Whether it is river or sea, salty or fresh, red or white. It all depends on individual preferences and tastes.
Fish Pie - Cooking
Properly selected fish pie baking mold is one of the most important elements of success. Today, stores have a huge range of dishes for baking from completely different materials: iron, ceramics, aluminum with non-stick coating, silicone, etc.
Cast iron form - the best option. Cast iron has a good heat distribution effect, which allows the fish pie to be baked evenly in the oven. In addition, cast iron cookware is durable and can serve more than one generation. Unfortunately, the cast-iron mold is not so easy to find on the shelves of the store, so an excellent alternative to such dishes can serve as an aluminum mold with a non-stick coating - the most affordable and common option today. It is preferable to choose aluminum utensils with thickened walls, because, as practice shows, thin-walled forms have an unstable non-stick coating, so their service life is small.
Silicone baking utensils are also very popular among caring housewives. As for the forms of heat-resistant glass, it is better not to use them in baking. Firstly, the cake is not always evenly baked in such dishes. Secondly, it is worse separated from the glass walls.
Fish Pie - Food Preparation
The main ingredients of fish pie are flour and, in fact, fish. For baking mainly use the highest grade flour. Fish before baking must be carefully prepared. Thaw at room temperature, if it is frozen, gut, carefully removing the insides, tail, fins, head, ridge and cut into small pieces, which will allow the fish to bake at the same time as the dough and other ingredients.
The dough of the Russian fish pie should be sour, “alive”, as it used to be called in the old days. In addition to yeast, kefir, sour cream, yogurt, whey and even beer are used as a starter to achieve the best taste properties. Often, these components are combined in different variations, which allows to vary the taste and texture of the dough.
A great many and rich ingredients that make up the dough. First of all, it is milk, vegetable and cream fats, eggs. Freedom in the choice of ingredients allows each housewife to make an individual imprint in their homemade recipes.
Fish Pie - Best Recipes
Recipe 1: Whipped Fish Cake
The secret of this recipe is in the test. It will take you no more than five minutes to prepare it, but the dish, despite this, will be very tasty. Surprise households with light and original cake!
Ingredients: For the dough: kefir packaging - 500 ml with a fat content of 3.2%, a can of fatty mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp. soda, raw eggs - 2 pcs., a pinch of salt, a table. l sugar, flour / c. For the filling: fillet of pink salmon - 800-1000 gr., 2 large onion heads, oil drain. - 70 gr., Salt and pepper.
Method of preparation:
1. In a bowl, make the dough. To do this, mix the listed ingredients, beat the mixture lightly and, gradually adding flour, bring the dough to a creamy consistency (it should not be too thick). Beat all the lumps well.
2. Cut the fish fillet into thin pieces, put in a plate, salt and pepper.
3. Cut the onion into half rings. Next, grease baking sheet with fat, pour in a layer of dough, spread on it evenly slices of pink salmon, and on top - onions and pieces of butter, then also fill the filling with dough.
4. We put the future cake in the oven heated to 200 degrees and bake until ready, which can be checked with the help of a match. Pierce a pie with a match, if dough sticks to it, then the fish plate is not ready yet.
Ready fish pie should be removed from the oven, greased (with cream, vegetable or margarine) and cover with sheets of paper or a linen towel for a few minutes.
Recipe 2: Yeast Dough Fish Cake
If done correctly, the cake, baked according to this recipe, will turn out excellent, and the dough will just melt in your mouth. Prepare the so-called “quick” dry yeast for the dough, so it rises faster. And after it fits, cuddle it and let it rise again. Then you can start baking.
Ingredients: For the dough: kefir 500 ml, dry yeast packaging - 11 gr., Salt - 2 tsp, sugar - 3 table. l., two raw eggs, 6 table. spoons of vegetable oil, 1-1,2 kg of flour / c. For the filling: a kilo of rich fish fillet (of your choice), 2-3 onions, 50 gr. drain oils, pepper and salt. Method of preparation:
1. While the dough is cooked in deep dishes, we prepare the filling. We cut the fillet into pieces, salt and pepper it, mix it with onion slices cut into pieces, sprinkle with lemon juice and let it brew a little.
2. So, the dough we have approached. Lubricate the baking sheet with fat, roll out the layer of dough, lay it on the bottom, and spread the filling and pieces of plums evenly on top. oil, then seal it with a layer of dough, do not forget to pinch the edges well.
3. Place your future cake in a preheated oven (up to 180- 200 degrees) and bake until done. In the process of baking, add fire at discretion to form a beautiful crust.
When the dish is ready, remove it from the baking sheet on a flat dish covered with a paper sheet, and coat with a fat sheet on top, cover with a napkin or towel for a few minutes.
Recipe 3: Fish Pie “Lying Thumbs”
The cake made according to this recipe will be very juicy and tasty with any fish. He does not require any special virtuoso skill, he prepares quickly and simply.
Ingredients: For the dough: egg - 1, half a glass of milk, baking powder - four tsp, plums. butter - 200 gr., flour a / c - 3 cups, salt half a teaspoon. For the filling: fish fillet - 400 gr., Spices for fish (at your discretion), lemon juice - 2 tsp, a pair of onion heads, mayonnaise - 3 tbsp. l., 30 gr. sour cream, greens.
Method of preparation:
1. Egg with milk (together) must be whipped with a mixer. Add salt, melted plums. butter, baking powder and whisk again. Pour flour with stirring. Knead the soft, loose dough and remove it for half an hour.
2. While the dough fits, cut the fillet into slices, season them with spices, salt, sprinkle with lemon juice. Onion cut into half rings.
3. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Spread the first part on the bottom of the leaf, then spread the fish evenly, put the onion on top, coat the filling with mayonnaise, sprinkle with chopped greens and butter pieces and seal with the remaining rolled dough. Pinch the edges, grease the cake with sour cream. Next, lay it in the oven, preheated to 200 gr., And bake for 40-60 minutes. Grease the finished dish and cover with a towel. Fish pie is ready! Enjoy your meal!
Fish Pie - Useful Tips
- Before sending the cake into the oven, pierce it with a fork in several places or leave a small hole in the center to allow steam to escape;
- If you leave voids on the pan around the cake, the dough will be baked better and more evenly;
- After cooking, the fish pie should not be left on the iron sheet for a long time, since it will soon become wet and acquire the unpleasant taste of metal;
- If the crust blush too quickly when baking, cover the cake with a wet sheet of paper;
- If the cake starts to burn, you can also put a bowl of water under it;
- When you send the fish pie to the oven, carefully close the lid, as if the cotton is strong, the dough will settle;
- If the cake stuck to the baking sheet, hold it over the steam for a couple of minutes, after which it will easily lag behind the bottom.
We outlined, perhaps, the most important moments of cooking fish pie. We hope our recommendations will help you to bake it properly and to please your beloved family and friends with a simple, at first glance, but very tasty dish! Enjoy your meal!