Traders in lemons know this, of course. Like those who have whole lemon plantations. The rest buy lemons individually, only occasionally acquiring a kilogram or two of citrus at once. And then they have a question: how to keep the lemons fresh and fragrant as long as possible? To lemons do not spoil for a long time, you need to take care of this even during the purchase.
How to choose lemons
- Sometimes you can hear the advice that lemons should be chosen with smooth skin. But this is not always true, since there are many varieties of both smooth skinned and pimply to the touch. The main condition is that it is dense, free from damage and stains.
- The fruit itself must be strong. After all, even a slightly soft lemon can be either overripe or frostbitten. In any case, such a citrus will quickly deteriorate.
- Like many fruits, the most accessible place for rot is the stem. If it is absent, and there is at least a small dark spot, such a lemon will not be stored for a long time. Therefore, it is best to buy lemons with a sprig. And on the leaflet on it you can judge when the fetus was torn off.
How to keep lemons in the refrigerator
Since lemon is a heat-loving plant, it does not tolerate low temperature. Therefore, the optimum temperature for the storage of citrus - 5-7 ° heat.
Of course, they will be able to lie in the room without losing their appearance, but not more than a week. And then they will start to dry gradually, they will become less juicy and fragrant. If you want to keep the lemons longer, then they are cleaned in the refrigerator and kept in the compartment for fruits and vegetables.
Each lemon is wrapped in parchment paper and refrigerated. After 1-2 weeks, citruses need to sort out in time to notice the fruit began to deteriorate.
Each lemon is smeared with odorless vegetable oil and put in a box for vegetables in the lower compartment of the refrigerator. In this form, the fruits are stored for 2-3 months.
Lemons are placed in an enameled pan and poured to the top with cold water. Such citruses will remain fresh for about a month. But you need to change the water daily.
How to store lemons in sugar
Lemons cut into slices and put in a jar, pouring sugar. Thus, the tank is filled to the top, falling asleep slices with a layer of sugar. Close the jar with a nylon cap and place in the refrigerator.
If the lemon is already notched, the rest is put on a saucer with sugar. Dish with lemon covered with a deep plate or cup.
How to store lemons in salt
- Lemons are washed and dried well.
- Squeeze juice out of one fruit.
- The remaining citruses are cut into circles and tightly put in a jar, at the bottom of which salt is poured, a bay leaf and a little bit of cinnamon are put.
- Everything is poured with lemon juice and covered with salt to the top, but so that it fills in and emptiness.
- Clean in the fridge.
- Strong lemons are put in a jar and filled with strong salted cold water.
- They put a bottom and a load on top so that lemons do not float to the surface.
- Cover with a lid and place in a refrigerator or cellar. Such lemons are a good addition to meat, fish, sauces and salads. Stored for several months.
How to store lemons in the cellar or basement
Each lemon is wrapped in parchment paper and piled up in drawers, lined up with green birch twigs. Once every three weeks, the fruit is unrolled, wiped with a dry, clean towel and wrapped in clean paper. The citruses that have begun to spoil are removed.
Lemons are oiled and laid out on racks so that they do not touch each other. Then the rot from the lemon that began to deteriorate will not shift to another.
Lemons dry with a towel and put in a copper tinned pan. Put on the ice. Every two weeks, the fruits get, wipe from moisture, but they do not touch their hands. Wiped and the walls of the pan. Again, clean on the ice. In this form, the lemons remain fresh for about three months.
- Each lemon is wrapped in parchment paper and placed in a box at the bottom of which dry, clean sand is poured. In this case, the fruit should not touch.
- Citruses are covered with a layer of sand.
- Spread another row of lemons, which are also covered with sand. Store the fruit in a cool place.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C, so they are excellent for colds.
- Lemon juice treat a sore throat. To do this, juice of half a lemon is diluted in 100 ml of water and gargle with this solution.
- Lemon juice helps with low acidity.
- Lemon peel, boiled in sugar, improves digestion.
- For leg cramps, twice a day, grease the feet with lemon juice, let them dry, and only then put on their socks.
- If you have nausea after eating fatty foods, you should drink the juice of half a lemon and a half teaspoonful of soda.
- If you mix 0, 5 kg of honey and lemons and 20 crushed apricot kernels and use on an empty stomach 1 st. l., then passes the heartbeat, which arose on the nerve soil.
- Lemon juice, mixed with honey and diluted in a glass of warm water, helps from insomnia.
- Chewing lemon with sugar improves appetite.