Of course, you can buy seeds in the store. But do they compare with those that you fry yourself? For many, this is a ritual. Prepare, fry in a frying pan, cool, and then click, sitting near the TV ... And nerves soothe, and pleasure is delivered.
If you have mastered the methods of roasting seeds in a pan, then you will not be difficult to cook them in the oven.
Seeds from the oven are slightly different from those that were fried in a pan.
In the oven, heat treatment takes place in a more benign mode. Seeds are obtained not fried, but well-dried, roasted and lean.
The rest of the principle of roasting seeds in the oven is the same as in the pan.
But first you need to buy them. And those who end up very tasty.
How to choose good seeds
Before buying them you need to carefully consider. Seeds must be free of debris, impurities. They should not be raw, which is often the case if they are not properly stored.
You can determine their quality by a small handful. They must be full, with light grains. They should not smell of mustiness and much less mold. If you get at least one rancid grain, then such seeds should be discarded.
Seeds fully satisfied your needs? Feel free to buy!
How to roast seeds in the oven without salt
Even if the seeds are clean at first glance, they must be washed before frying, since it is not known what conditions they had before. For example, they could lie in a pile right on the ground.
- Pour the seeds into a colander and wash thoroughly under running warm water. Leave it in a colander for a few minutes to dry out a little.
- Turn on the oven, heat it to 160-180 °. The baking tray at this time should be inside and also warm.
- When the temperature rises to the desired mark, remove the leaf and immediately pour still wet seeds on it. Smooth over the entire surface. Do not try to fry a large batch of seeds at once, because in this case they will remain half-baked or they will be roasted unevenly.
- Place the baking tray in the oven.
- Every few minutes, open the door and mix the seeds. Or reach for a baking sheet, stir the seeds and put in the oven again. The cooking time will depend on the model of the oven, its power, whether it is gas or electric. Most often, after 20 minutes the seeds are ready.
- A sign that it’s time to get them out of the oven is a slight crackle of the shells. Take out a few seeds, taste it. If the seeds have already become dry and the taste suits you, remove the baking sheet from the oven, pour the seeds out of it onto a flat dish covered with a towel. Cover them with another towel on top. Leave for 15-20 minutes. During this time, they cool down, reach full readiness.
Tip: To make the seeds more fragrant, add a little sunflower oil at the very end of cooking. On a pound of sunflower seeds one teaspoon of unrefined (with smell) oil will be quite enough. Sprinkle the surface of the seeds with them and mix well.
At first, the seeds will be very oily and shiny, but after 1-2 minutes the oil will be well absorbed in them, leaving almost no greasy film.
Salted sunflower seeds in the oven
If you like salted sunflower seeds, cooking them in the oven is easier than ever.
- For this, pour the seeds into a colander, wash thoroughly under the faucet. Leave in a colander for running off of water.
- Then mix them with a small amount of fine salt. But remember that, firstly, you can not use a lot of salt, and secondly, excess salt can cause irritation of mucous membranes in the mouth. The water from the seeds will evaporate, and the salt in their shells will remain.
- Heat the oven with the baking sheet to 160-180 °. Sprinkle on a baking sheet with an even layer of seeds. Put in the oven. Reach for a baking sheet, stir the seeds so that they are roasted evenly.
- As soon as they crackle (this indicates well-dried shells), try the seeds. If they are ready, turn off the oven. You can leave the seeds for a while in the oven, then remove them and sprinkle them on a towel, covering them with its edges. After 20-25 minutes, the seeds will be ready to eat.
Unroasted seeds contain a large amount of vitamins: B5, B6, B3. Having eaten 100 g of seeds, you can completely fill the body's daily need for vitamin E.
Sunflower seeds contain a lot of phosphorus, selenium, copper, zinc, magnesium, potassium, and iron.
Sunflower seeds - a high-calorie product. The main composition of seeds is fats, it is not for nothing that oil is squeezed out of sunflower. This should be taken into account by those who monitor their weight, and use seeds in moderation.
And the rest - bon appetit! The main thing, when you click the seeds, take care of the tooth enamel.