Cake "Ryzhik", which is also often called "Honey cake", has a long history. There is an opinion that this dessert was prepared at the court of the Russian emperor Alexander I, whose spouse did not like honey, but was happy to eat a delicacy made from honey cakes with a gentle, slightly acidic cream. Cake "Ryzhik" is made from a special type of dough, which adds a sweet bee product. It gives the cake a red color and a pleasant aroma. Cooking dessert is not considered difficult, often even the hostess begin to comprehend the basics of pastry craftsmanship with this tasty and delicious delicacy.
The process of making a honey cake “Ryzhik” is not complicated, but it still has several specific features.
- The main ingredient of the dough, from which the “Ryzhik” cake is baked, is honey. Only a natural product is able to give the dessert a unique taste, color and flavor. However, this does not mean that people who are allergic to bee products cannot taste the delicacy. Simply, they have to replace natural honey with artificial one, or even completely refuse to add this ingredient to the dough and use turmeric or other natural dyes to give the cake a ruddy tint.
- The traditional technology of making dough for honey cake provides for a specific sequence of actions. First, beat the eggs separately with half the amount of sugar specified in the recipe, melt the butter with the remaining sugar separately. Honey and soda are added to the melted butter, then the mixture is cooled. After that, combine both liquid components, add flour to them in parts and knead the dough. It is important to remember that it is impossible to combine eggs with hot ingredients, otherwise the protein will be curtailed and the products will be spoiled.
- The classic cream for the cake “Ryzhik” is made on the basis of sour cream, often with the addition of butter. Sometimes condensed milk is put into the cream. There are other options for making cream. The only important thing is that it is not too dense, since it must soak the cakes.
- Several cakes are baked from cooked dough (usually 6-10). It is important that they are the same. Ideally, the dough for each cake should be measured using a kitchen scale, but it is allowed to do this by eye. Roll the cake should be in the layers of the same diameter. It is convenient to do it on a silicone rug with a marking. You can draw a circle on the parchment and roll out the dough immediately on it. To the edges of the cake were smooth, the dough before baking is cut on a plate.
- For decorating a cake, most often use a crumb made from one of the cakes or dough residues. They are crushed with a blender or crumbled by hand. Additionally, you can use pieces of cookies or chocolate, fresh or canned berries and fruits to decorate the cake “Ginger”.
The “Ryzhik” cake made according to the classic recipe is quite simple, but if this dessert preparation option is difficult for you, you can choose another one that you find simpler, there are several of them.
The classic recipe for the cake “Ryzhik”
- sugar - 0, 4 kg, including 0, 2 kg for the dough, 0, 2 kg for the cream;
- flour - 0.5 kg;
- kefir - 0, 2 l;
- sour cream - 0, 4-0, 45 l;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- honey - 60 ml;
- soda - 10 g;
- butter - 100 g;
- vanillin - 10 g.
Method of preparation:
- Sift flour.
- In a separate container, break the eggs. Add to them 100 g of sugar. Beat with a whisk or mixer. Beat until needed until the mixture brightens. The mixer will cope with the task in 2-3 minutes, whipping it with whisk will take much longer.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. This should be done in a water bath or on very slow fire.
- Add 100 g of sugar to the butter, heat them up, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add honey, stir.
- Once the honey has melted, add soda, stir.
- When foam appears, remove the mixture from the heat and wait for a while until it cools (10-15 minutes will suffice).
- Pour the eggs into the oil mixture, constantly beating it with a whisk.
- After the liquid mass has reached uniformity, start adding flour over the glass. The dough must be well kneaded after adding each serving of dry ingredient.
- Roll the dough with a sausage with a diameter of about 7-8 cm, cut it into 10 pieces. Portions of dough can be measured and with the help of kitchen scales.
- Roll out the first part of the dough, laying it on parchment with a circle with a diameter of 22-23 cm drawn from the back side. Sprinkle flour on the paper beforehand.
- Transfer the cake directly to the parchment on a baking sheet. Cut the cake on a plate, but do not remove the trim.
- Heat the oven to 170-180 degrees.
- Place a dough pan in it.
- Bake cake for 5-7 minutes. Its readiness can be determined by color: the dough must ripen.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a flat plate. Cut the dough separately.
- In the same way, bake cakes from the remaining dough. Put them on top of each other, let them cool.
- Combine kefir, sour cream and the remaining 200 g of sugar in the blender bowl, add vanilla sugar at the same stage.
- Turn on the unit and beat the ingredients until they have a uniform and sufficiently thick texture. If you do not want the cream to turn out too liquid, the amount of kefir can be reduced or replaced with condensed milk, respectively, by reducing the amount of sugar.
- Put the cakes on a beautiful dish, covering each layer with cream. Top cake is also covered with cream. He is also covered with the edges of the cake.
- Break baked pieces of dough and crush into a crumb using a blender. Sprinkle the sides and top of the cake with it.
Put the cake in the fridge for a few hours - it will be tasty only after the cakes are soaked with sour cream.
Cake "Ryzhik" with semolina
- sugar - 0, 4 kg, including 0, 2 kg for the dough and 0, 2 kg for the cream;
- margarine - 120 g;
- honey, natural or artificial - 40 ml;
- soda (slaked with vinegar) - 5 g;
- flour - 0, 4 kg;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- semolina - 50 g;
- milk - 0, 4 l;
- butter - 0, 3 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Pound a glass of sugar with eggs.
- Melt margarine and honey (can be in the same container).
- Allow them to cool slightly, combine with the egg mass.
- Place the mixture in a water bath and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the water bath. Add to it the extinguished soda, mix.
- Enter the sifted flour in small portions.
- Knead the dough, cover it and wrap, leave for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each part into a round layer with a diameter of about 24 cm. Cut to the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and bake cakes in it, spending 6-7 minutes each.
- Separately bake pieces of cut dough. Crush them with a blender to a crumb.
- Boil porridge of semolina in milk using the amount of cereal specified in the recipe (no longer needed). Leave to cool.
- Remove the oil from the refrigerator. Wait until it becomes soft.
- Beat the butter with a mixer. Add sugar. Beat the ingredients together.
- Combine the oil mass with the cooled semolina, beat them together.
- Smear cakes with cooked cream. Collect the cake, smear it with cream from the sides.
- Sprinkle the cake with crumb and put it in the fridge.
The “Ryzhik” cake can be served on the table only after 3 hours, when it has completely cooled and has time to soak in the cream.
Cake “Ryzhik” without honey with cream of condensed milk and sour cream
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- flour - 0, 45 kg;
- butter - 0, 2 kg, including 100 g for the dough, 100 g for the cream;
- brown sugar - 0, 2 kg;
- turmeric - a pinch;
- honey flavoring (optional) - 2-3 drops;
- baking powder for dough - 10 g;
- condensed milk - 0, 2 l;
- sour cream with fat content of 20% - 0, 4 l.
Method of preparation:
- Pound eggs from 100 g of sugar.
- Sift flour, combine with baking powder and turmeric.
- Remove the oil from the refrigerator. Cut half in half and place in bucket. Leave the rest at room temperature, so that at the time of preparation of the cream it becomes very soft.
- Add the remaining sugar to the butter in the scoop. Heat this mixture until sugar dissolves. Oil by this time completely melted.
- Add a glass of sugar to the egg mixture, mix until a homogeneous composition is obtained.
- Add melted butter to the resulting mass, mix until smooth.
- Gradually sprinkling flour and stirring, prepare a soft, but rather dense dough. Cover it and leave to warm for 20-30 minutes.
- Make 8-10 cakes from dough. Cut the dough too.
- Whip the softened butter, combine with condensed milk, whisk together with it.
- Continuing to beat, enter the sour cream and flavoring. If you add it to the dough, the aroma of honey will be less pronounced.
- Spread cream over the cakes.
- Grind cuts in a blender, sprinkle the cake on all sides.
The “Ryzhik” cake, prepared according to this recipe, also takes time to soak and cool, so after cooking it is removed for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
Do not forget about the opportunity to decorate the cake with cookies, waffles and other similar products. It is not recommended to use whipped cream, butter cream, ganache, mastic, frosting to decorate this cake, they do not correspond to the traditional style of cooking and serving the “Ryzhik” cake.
You can make a “Ryzhik” cake from ready-made honey cakes. For their sandwiching is best to use cream based sour cream.