Sauerkraut is a ready-made salad, a filling for pies, and an ingredient for stews and many, many different culinary roles. Its biggest advantage (except for taste and benefit) is its shelf life. If you follow the technology and make sure that the level of brine does not fall below the level of cabbage, then it can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks or even months (without brine, cabbage quickly darkens and sours).
That is, we spend an hour or two on sourdough, and we get a supply of “consumable material” for weeks.
To make the simplest salad out of sauerkraut, you need to wash it in a colander, add onions and vegetable oil. It also goes well with pickled cucumbers, pickled mushrooms, pickled apples.
- cabbage - 0, 5 kg;
- carrots - 1-2 pieces;
- bay leaf - 3-4 pieces;
- water -250 ml .;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 0, 5 st. l .;
- vegetable oil - 3 tbsp. l .;
- table vinegar 9% - 5 tbsp. l
Cooking time: 3 days, number of servings: 1.
1. Rinse the cabbage thoroughly under running water, remove the top leaves from it. Cut into several pieces and chop. This can be done in any convenient way: with a special grater, with the help of a combine or with an ordinary kitchen knife.
2. Fold the chopped cabbage into a deep bowl. Wash carrots, peel, grate and add to cabbage.
3. Pour boiled water into a separate bowl, set on fire.
4. When the water boils, dissolve salt and sugar in it, add a little vegetable and vinegar.
5. Pour the cabbage with carrots with hot pickle, mash the cabbage for a little, so that it runs the juice.
6. Pepper cabbage, add allspice, lay laurel leaves on top.
7. Cover the bowl with a lid or plate to make a press, and leave it in the kitchen for at least 3 hours, and best of all for a day. Or shift the cabbage into a 3-liter jar, which cover the same way. After this time the cabbage is ready. Cooked cabbage must be stored in the refrigerator.