Sauce ranch was invented by chance by an American farmer Steve Hanson. He ran salads with which he treated guests of the ranch with a mixture of buttermilk, mayonnaise, greens and some other ingredients. These salads delighted the guests, so they were even ready to buy the sauce they had invented from Henson. As a result, Hanson opened his own business and made a whole fortune on his own sauce. Today ranch dressing is popular in America just like in mayonnaise. It is suitable for preparing various dishes and for filling almost any salad, although its taste is somewhat fresher than that of mayonnaise, and the caloric content is slightly lower. So, if you do not know how you can substitute mayonnaise, it makes sense for you to learn how to cook ranch sauce at home, and besides, it’s quite simple.
It is easy to prepare ranch sauce, especially since it does not require heat treatment. Therefore, even an inexperienced hostess will cope with the task. This advice will help her experienced chefs.
- Another ingredient in ranch sauce may not be available to many of our fellow countrymen. This is a chives, which is actually very similar to green onions, but has thinner arrows and has a slightly softer taste. If you could not get a chives, replace it with green - the taste of the sauce will not change much.
- If you serve ranch sauce to any dishes separately, cool it in the fridge before serving, as it will be more tasty cold.
- You should not harvest a large amount of ranch sauce if you do not plan to eat it on the same day: the shelf life of this product is low - you need to eat it for a maximum of two days, store it in the refrigerator.
In the original recipe for ranch sauce, one of the main ingredients is buttermilk. Not all stores have this product available. Therefore, it often has to be replaced with sour cream. Best suited homemade sour cream, which is usually less acidic than the purchase. If you want the sauce to be lighter, you can replace the buttermilk with yogurt or unsweetened yogurt.
Ranch sauce is served with meat, fish, vegetable garnish. It is especially good with potatoes. In addition, the sauce can be used for dressing salads instead of sour cream and mayonnaise.
Original Ranch Recipe
- buttermilk - 125 ml;
- mayonnaise - 125 ml;
- chives - 50 g;
- green onions - 10 g;
- salt - 10 g;
- dried parsley - 30 g;
- allspice - 5 g.
- Mix mayonnaise with buttermilk until a homogeneous composition is obtained.
- Wash and finely chop both types of onion with a knife.
- Mix the sauce with the chopped onion.
- Add dried parsley, salt and ground allspice.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with food-grade film wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
After that, the sauce can be served on the table, poured into a sauceboat, or used as a salad dressing.
Simple Ranch Sauce Recipe
- mayonnaise - 0, 25 l;
- sour cream - 125 ml;
- dried green onions - 5 g;
- dry parsley - 5 g;
- dried dill - 5 g;
- dried garlic powder - pinch;
- dried onions in powder - pinch;
- salt, black pepper powder - to taste.
- Measure out the right amount of seasonings and mix them together. Today, garlic and onion powder can be purchased at many supermarkets, dried herbs are even more available. If you still could not buy them, you can make all the seasonings yourself in your kitchen. True, this will significantly complicate and make the preparation process more lengthy. To get onion and garlic powder, vegetables should be finely chopped and put on a baking sheet, put it in the oven and turn it on at the lowest power. The drying process will last about 14 hours, after which the dried vegetables will be ground in a coffee grinder or chopped using a blender. Greens are dried in the same, but less time, and after it you can not grind.
- Stir sour cream and mayonnaise. Their mixture should be completely homogeneous.
- Add seasoning mixture, salt and pepper to sour cream-mayonnaise sauce, mix well.
After that, the ranch sauce remains cool, placing in a refrigerator for 30 minutes and use just like the original. The sauce prepared according to this recipe has a more savory taste, it turns out to be even more fragrant than the original one, but its caloric content will be higher.
Popular Ranch Sauce Recipe
- mayonnaise - 0, 2 l;
- buttermilk or sour cream - 0, 2 l;
- dry mustard - 5 g;
- fresh parsley - 30 g;
- chives - 10 g;
- fresh dill - 10 g;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- lemon juice - 15 ml;
- salt, paprika, black ground pepper - to taste.
- Wash, shake off water and finely chop fresh greens with a knife.
- Crush the garlic with a special press.
- Mix mustard powder with lemon juice and a spoon of mayonnaise or sour cream.
- Combine the resulting mixture with buttermilk and mayonnaise, beat with a mixer.
- Add the herbs, salt, garlic and spices, continuing to beat for a few seconds afterwards.
- Cover the container with the foil sauce and put it in the refrigerator so that it is cool.
Prepared according to the popular recipe, ranch sauce is moderately spicy, well suited to meat and poultry dishes. However, it can also be used for salad dressing. Thanks to this sauce, fish, including light-salted, as well as potatoes, will get a new spicy taste.
Recipe for ranch sauce without mayonnaise
- milk - 150 ml;
- odorless vegetable oil - 100 ml;
- chicken egg - 3 pcs .;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 1 clove;
- fresh dill - 25 g;
- fresh parsley - 25 g;
- sugar - a pinch;
- salt, black pepper powder - to taste.
- Wash eggs well in warm water and soap. Smash, separating the yolks from proteins. To prepare the sauce, you only need the yolks, which must be placed in a bowl or a small saucepan, whipped with a fork.
- Add warm but not hot milk to the yolks, pour in vegetable oil.
- Place the bowl in a water bath and, heating it, for 5-10 minutes, beat the contents with a whisk. As a result, a thick mass should be formed. If the result can not be achieved using a whisk, use a blender.
- Remove the sauce from the water bath.
- Wash and dry the greens, finely chop it with a knife and add to the sauce.
- Squeeze lemon juice into the sauce.
- Squeeze garlic into it.
- Pour salt, sugar, pepper.
- Whisk everything together with a whisk or a mixer so that the consistency of the sauce is uniform.
- Put the ranch sauce in the fridge to cool it completely.
This recipe for ranch sauce is good in that it does not require the use of purchased mayonnaise, although, in fact, it is based on mayonnaise, but exclusively homemade, without any harmful additives and vinegar. This recipe for ranch dressing will surely appeal to those who care about their health.
Ranch sauce refers to the American cuisine, where it is as popular as mayonnaise. Cook it just at home. It will have a fresher taste compared to mayonnaise and a lower energy value.