Barley was one of the first cereals our ancestors began to cultivate. At the same time, it is one of the most useful, as it contains a lot of fiber, vitamins, micro and macro elements that are necessary for the human body. An additional advantage of barley cereals is its low price. Groats can be large and small. Crushed croup is called barley, unlike barley it cooks quickly, as it has a small size. Despite the presence of such a large number of advantages, barley dishes appear on the table of our compatriots infrequently. The problem is that not all housewives know what and how to cook from it. A good idea would be to cook barley porridge on water in a slow cooker. Such a dish will be inexpensive, prove to be hearty, serve as an independent dish or side dish to the main dish. Using a smart unit will save time and get the best result.
Multicooker greatly simplifies the work of the cook, taking on the implementation of basic operations. The cook needs only to prepare the products, lay them in the cooking tank and run the desired program. But even at these stages errors are possible that will not allow to get the expected result. From disappointment will save the knowledge of a few moments.
- If barley is stored in a damp room, it becomes mold very quickly. Visually, it is indistinguishable, but, having prepared porridge from moldy cereal, you will remain unhappy with its bitter taste and not the most pleasant aroma. When you buy, tilt the bag with barley grain in different directions and watch how it is poured: a dry chop is sprinkled quickly and easily, wet - slowly and hard. You only fit dry.
- Grain enters the grain-processing factories with dust. Dust remains on the croup and when it is crushed. This makes it necessary to rinse the barley cereal before preparing porridge or another dish from it. To do this, barley cut is placed in a sieve with small holes and put under a stream of water.
- To obtain the expected result, it is necessary to correctly select the proportions of cereals and water. To obtain a crumbly porridge in a glass of barley grits take 2, 5 glasses of liquid. Viscous porridge is obtained if the amount of water is increased by 1-1.5 cups. If you add more liquid, the porridge will be completely liquid. In a glass with a capacity of 0.25 liters, about 180-190 g of barley cereals are placed.
- Gourmets say that roasting barley cereal before cooking helps to reveal its taste and aroma.
- The taste of finished barley porridge will be even more pleasant if it is flavored with butter. Usually, slices of butter are put on the porridge after the completion of the main program. After that include the program “Maintain the temperature” and leave the porridge for at least 10 minutes. During this time, the butter will melt and soak the porridge with creamy taste and aroma.
- Delicious barley porridge makes long-lasting languor. It should not be laid out on the plates immediately after it is cooked. If you leave it for 20-30 minutes in heating mode, it will become much tastier and more aromatic.
There is barley porridge recommended immediately after its preparation, only giving it a little later. If it is left unfinished, and then reheated, the taste will not be the same.
A simple recipe for savory barley porridge in a slow cooker (on water)
- barley grits - 180 g;
- water - 0, 65 l;
- butter - 40 g;
- salt - to taste.
- Measure out the right amount of barley grits, put it in a sieve, rinse it with cool water.
- Transfer the cereal into the multicooker container. Salt, cover with water. Water is better to use boiled and hot - then the porridge will cook faster.
- Close the multicooker with the lid, start the “Porridge” program or similar. If your unit is not able to independently determine the degree of readiness of dishes and does not turn off on time, set the timer to 40-50 minutes.
- After completion of the main program, cut butter into thin slices, spread the pieces on the surface of the porridge. Leave it to languish in heating mode for 15-20 minutes.
If you cook barley porridge not for a side dish, but for breakfast, you can put a spoonful of sugar in it, then it will become even tastier.
Lean barley porridge on water, cooked in a slow cooker
- barley grits - 190 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- refined vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- salt, spices - to taste;
- water - 0, 6 l.
- Prepare barley grits, rinsing them well.
- Free the onions from the husk, finely chop.
- Pour the oil into the crock-pot, put the onion in it. Run the program "Frying". If your appliance does not have such a program, use the Baking program.
- Fry the onions for 3 minutes. Add cereal to it, sprinkling it with salt and spices. Fry the cereal for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring it with a spatula. You can fry onions with grits and spices in a frying pan and after that move them into a multicooker container.
- Add water and run the “Pilaf” program (or similar to it) for 40 minutes.
Do not rush to open the slow cooker and spread porridge from it - give it half an hour later in heating mode.
Rich barley porridge with meat on the water (in the slow cooker)
- pork pulp - 0, 4 kg;
- barley grits - 140 g;
- pumpkin pulp - 0, 2 kg;
- water - 0, 5 l;
- carrots - 100 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- refined vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- salt, spices - to taste.
- Wash and dry the meat with a napkin. Remove film and excess fat. Cut the meat into small cubes (about 1, 5 cm in size).
- Peel the skin of the pumpkin pulp and skin. Cut it into about the same pieces as the meat.
- Scrape carrots, wash and blot with a napkin. Chop the root vegetable on a coarse grater.
- Free the onions from the peel, cut it into small cubes.
- Wash the cereal.
- Pour oil into the multicooker bowl, place the meat in it. Run the “Baking” program.
- After 10 minutes, add onions and carrots to the meat, and after another 5 minutes, add a pumpkin. After the introduction of pumpkin, continue to fry vegetables and meat in baking mode for another 10 minutes.
- Add cereal, spices, salt and water. Stir.
- Change the program, choosing the most suitable for cooking porridges. Cook porridge in it for 40 minutes. Then leave it to languish in heating mode for another 20 minutes.
Barley porridge with meat and pumpkin is a tasty and satisfying dish. If you cook it for lunch or dinner, no one will rise from the table hungry.
Barley porridge, boiled in water, it turns out delicious and tender. It can serve as a side dish or main course - it all depends on what recipe it is cooked. In the slow cooker, the food is especially good, as it can be cooked for a long time, without fear that the porridge will burn.