Sbiten - undeservedly forgotten Slavic drink. Once it was much more popular than tea and coffee. Its main advantage is its natural, rich and useful composition. Sbiten gives strength, fills the body with vitamins, helps to recover from serious illnesses and is very easy to prepare at home.
Home Sbiten - General Cooking Principles
All types of drink can be divided into winter, summer and alcohol options. A warming sbiten will help protect against colds and give heat. Cold drink options will be enjoyed in the heat of the day, will be an excellent summer treat. Alcoholic sbitni filed to the festive table. The ever-present ingredient of any kind is fresh bee honey.
What else can be added:
• different berries;
Sbiten is prepared in different ways, but most often with cooking. Alcoholic beverage options take time to ferment, often hops are added to them. Before using the broth is always filtered, sometimes supplemented with lemon. The shelf life depends on the recipe. If the drink is hot, then it is advisable to use it within an hour. Cold sbitni stored for several days. Alcoholic options Slavs harvested for the future, kept in cellars for several months, got to the festive feast.
Sbiten “Honey” at home (winter version)
Traditional Slavic recipe for warming honey knocking at home. The classic drink is prepared only with real cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger, it is better not to use dry spices from the bag.
• litere of water;
• 150 grams of honey;
• 50 grams of sugar;
• 5 cardamom stuff;
• cinnamon stick;
• star aniseen;
• a piece of ginger root.
1. Combine water with sugar. Sometimes they put honey right away, but if you want to keep all the beneficial substances. It is better not to do this yet. In general, you can not add sugar, but the classic drink is very sweet, sometimes up to 150 grams of this amount of products. We sprinkle a bit. 2. Put the sliced ginger root, pre-remove the thin peel.
3. Remove the zest from the lemon, add the peel to the saucepan.
4. Fall asleep all the other spices, put on the stove.
5. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce the heat and cook for about one hour.
6. Turn off the stove, let the drink stand for another 15 minutes.
7. Cut the lemon in half, from one part of the citrus squeeze the juice into the drink, stir it.
8. Put the honey, just the liquid is already slightly cooled.
9. Strain sbiten, pour into cups, supplement with fresh lemon slices. Since this is the winter version of the drink, serve it hot.
Homemade Sbiten with Cranberries
A variant of a refreshing homemade shot with cranberries. Although hot, this drink is also very tasty. Cranberries can be taken fresh, frozen, ground.
• 200 g cranberries;
• litere of water;
• two spoons of honey;
• bud of carnation;
• pinch of nutmeg.
1. Rinse cranberries with boiling water if the berries are whole. If they are already frayed, then just lay in the pan. We also lay whole berries, rub them with a pestle.
2. Add water, you can immediately take boiling water, throw a clove.
3. We put on the fire, bring to a boil, boil a couple of minutes.
4. Insist cranberries about half an hour.
5. Strain the decoction through gauze, carefully squeeze the cranberries.
6. We throw a pinch of nutmeg in the broth.
7. Give the drink to cool to 60 degrees, so as not to destroy the vitamins in honey.
8. Add honey, stir until dissolved.
9. Cool or consume in the form of heat. If desired, you can add sugar for more sweetness or add a couple of tablespoons of honey.
Sbiten “Honey” at home with prunes
One of the brightest options honey sbitnya. Taste will directly depend on the quality of prunes. Choose good, unprocessed dried fruit.
• 100 g of prunes;
• 10 pieces. rose hips;
• 1 clove;
• 1.5 liters of water;
• 4 tbsp. l honey;
• 5 g fresh ginger.
1. Rinse prunes, throw in a pot of water, put on the stove. 2. Break the washed rose hips, add after the prunes.
3. Introduce chopped root ginger, add one clove. It's minimum. If you like clove fragrance, you can throw up to five stars.
4. Cook it all for about half an hour, but do not let it boil actively, cook over low heat with a low boil.
5. Turn off the stove and wrap the pot in a warm blanket, imitating a thermos. In the old days they just put the pot on a warm stove.
6. Leave for two hours.
7. Stir sbiten so that the dried fruits give the maximum flavor. Strain out.
8. You can add more honey or sugar if sweets are few.
9. The drink is universal, you can drink it immediately in a warm form or cool it in the refrigerator.
Home Monastic Sbiten
Once a very popular recipe for homemade bites, in which fresh hop cones were added. It is believed that the monks invented it, hence the name.
• 1 kg of honey;
• 20 g hop cones;
• 100 ml tea brew;
• 3 liters of water;
• star aniseen.
1. Connect the honey with water, put on the stove.
2. Hops folded in a gauze bag, in it also put the badyan and one stone, thoroughly washed with soap. Throw in the pan.
3. Boil the drink for 2 hours at a low boil.
4. Remove from heat, cool to a warm state.
5. Brew strong tea from 1 tbsp. l brewing and 120 ml of water.
6. Strain, should come out about 100 ml. Connect with the main broth.
7. Pour into a fermentation tank with a water seal, which is used in the preparation of wine.
8. Remove sbiten in a dark and cool place until the end of fermentation.
9. With the help of a transparent tube, remove the drink from the sediment, pour it into clean bottles, cork up. Leave in the basement for ripening for a month.
Honey Bit at home with an orange
A very spicy version of honey sbitnya, which is simply prepared at home. Citrus juice is not needed, only zest. You can prepare it for future use, dry it, use it at any time.
• 5 tablespoons of honey;
• 1 tbsp. l peel; • 2 liters of water;
• 2 cloves;
• 2-3 cm ginger root;
• 1 vanilla pod;
• 1 cinnamon.
1. Slice ginger into thin slices or grate, pour into a saucepan.
2. Add fresh or dried zest, in the second embodiment, the amount can be reduced by half.
3. Throw in a vanilla pod, throw cinnamon stick. You can break it into several pieces.
4. Add a pair of star stars carnations. If there is a badian, then it can be laid.
5. Fill with water, put honey and send it all to the stove.
6. After boiling we simmer on the stove for two hours. Be sure to cover so that the liquid does not evaporate.
7. Ready to sbiten strain, use hot. If necessary, can be reheated.
Homemade sbiten with sea buckthorn and calendula
Another very fragrant and delicious homemade version of the shot. To get a drink rich, it is best to use ripe sea buckthorn. This drink can be consumed hot and cold.
• 200 g sea buckthorn berries;
• 150 g of liquid honey;
• 10 g of ginger root;
• 1.6 liters of water;
• 1 tbsp. l oregano;
• 1 tbsp. l calendula;
• 2-3 cloves;
• 1-2 cinnamon sticks.
1. Put the sea buckthorn berries in the pan. If they are frozen, then first thaw a little. Mash tolkushkoy.
2. Add water to the drink, put it on the stove, boil for ten minutes.
3. Add chopped ginger.
4. Cover all the herbs and spices, something can be removed or add more to your liking. Stir, turn off the stove.
5. Cover the pan, leave for half an hour to make the broth more saturated.
6. Strain, squeeze grass cake with berries.
7. Add honey to the still hot liquid, stir until it is completely dissolved.
Sbiten “Honey” at home with mint and apples
Very tasty and once popular recipe for honey sbitena. At home it was often prepared with the addition of peppermint. But if desired, this ingredient can be eliminated or replaced with lemon melissa.
• 2 apples;
• 150 g of honey;
• 1 tsp. crushed mint (can be dry); • 4 carnations;
• 7 glasses of water;
• 1 cm ginger root;
• cinnamon stick;
• 0.5 lemon.
1. Cut apples into quarters. It is not necessary to clean the seeds or throw out the bits. Throw in the pan.
2. Add prescription water.
3. Thinly chop the root of ginger, add to the total mass.
4. Spread the cloves with mint and cinnamon.
5. Remove some peel, add to the pan.
6. Boil together 15 minutes after boiling water. Just as much time we give a shot to stand.
7. Filtrate. We introduce liquid honey into the drink.
8. Lemon, which was left without a peel, cut into pieces, laid out in glasses.
9. Fill with hot shot and help!
Home Sbiten - Tips and Tricks
• The root of ginger is very easily and quickly cleaned from the gray skin of an ordinary teaspoon, it is briskly passed through all the irregularities.
• If you are allergic to honey, you should never drink it. Also, it should not be given to small children up to three years.
• If pieces of grass, ginger, or other products are floating in the drink, it is not very pleasant to use it. Therefore, you need to filter the sbiten through several layers of gauze or use a small strainer.
• Often sbiten confused with mead, which was also a very popular drink among the Slavs. But in fact, they are preparing for completely different technologies.
• If you do not like the sugary taste of Sbiten, then you can add a little lemon juice.