Georgian dishes have an unusual and exquisite taste.
This is especially true sauce Tkemali, with which any dish becomes a real masterpiece.
We collected the best recipes of Georgian Tkemali sauce from different varieties of plums.
Tkemali from plums - basic principles of cooking
The main ingredient of the sauce is tkemali plums, better known to us as cherry plum.
It is thanks to this plum sauce got its name and unique sour taste.
This Georgian tkemali sauce from plums is made only from green, sour cherry plum, which has not yet matured.
In addition, you will need more swamp mint - this is a herb that is used as a seasoning, and it grows only in Georgia. Garlic and spices are also used to prepare the sauce: cilantro, salt, dill, red hot pepper and ground coriander.
The plums are thoroughly washed, laid out in a saucepan, poured with water and boiled for forty minutes. Then cooked plums fray through a sieve. Bones and peel discarded. You should get a puree mass, which is boiled down to the consistency of thick cream. Fresh herbs, garlic and seasonings are carefully ground and added to the sauce. Stir and bring to a boil. Turn off and lay out hot on prepared banks. If you want a spicy sauce, add more hot pepper and garlic. Conversely, lovers of tender sauce, should focus on the aromatic herbs.
Of course, in our latitudes, it is difficult to prepare real Tkemali from plums, but the recipe is quite possible to adapt by preparing it from any kind of plums. Marsh mint can be replaced by the usual melissa or thyme. With seasonings and herbs you can experiment to your taste. In any case, the sauce always turns out to be incredibly tasty, and is indispensable as a seasoning for almost any dish.
Recipe 1. Classic yellow cherry tokema
- kilogram of ripe yellow cherry plum;
- 5 g ground coriander;
- 50 g of sugar;
- 60 g fresh dill;
- three heads of garlic;
- 50 g fresh cilantro;
- hot pepper pod.
1. Wash ripe cherry plum under running water, put on paper towels and dry. Take out the bones.
2. Grind the plums through a meat grinder.
3. In the plum puree add sugar and salt. Stir and put in pan. Put on a slow fire and cook for nine minutes.
4. Disassemble the garlic, peel it. Remove the stalk of seeds from the pepper pod. Rinse and dry the herbs. Put everything in a blender bowl, add spices and grind until smooth.
5. Add the fragrant mixture to the boiling plum sauce, mix well and cook for another couple of minutes.
6. Wash and sterilize glass bottles with tin lids. Lay out the prepared Tkemali sauce in bottles and tightly zakutit lids.
Recipe 2. Tkemali from plums with lemon juice
- 700 g drains tokemali;
- 25 ml of vegetable oil;
- a bunch of fresh cilantro;
- five cloves of garlic;
- half a cup of lemon juice;
- 3 g of ground coriander;
- 3 g ground fenugreek;
- 2 g red hot pepper.
Method of Preparation
1. Drain well and put them in a large enamel pot. Fill with drinking water so that it completely covers the fruit.
2. Put the dishes on the fire and bring the mass to boiling. Turn down the heat to the minimum, cover with a lid and cook for another ten minutes.
3. Drain the water, cool the plums to a warm state and remove the bones. Rub plums through a fine sieve.
4. Rinse the cilantro and finely crumble. 5. Peel the garlic and chop it through the garlic press.
6. Put the plum puree back into the pot, add the cilantro, crushed garlic and spices. Pour in lemon juice and salt. Stir and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Cook the sauce for a couple of minutes and remove from the heat.
7. Cool Tkemali sauce to a warm state and transfer to a clean sterile jar. Top pour the oil and tightly close the lid. Put the sauce in the fridge. Six hours later, the sauce is ready. Store in the refrigerator for no more than two months.
Recipe 3. Tkemali from plums in a slow cooker
- kilograms of slightly greenish plums;
- 75 g seasoning “hop-suneli”;
- a bunch of parsley and dill;
- hot red pepper pod;
- six cloves of garlic;
- 5 ml of 70% vinegar per liter of sauce.
1. Clean the chives. Wash greens, plums and garlic under running water and put on a colander to drain the water.
2. Each plum cut and remove the bones.
3. Fold the plums, garlic and greens into the blender tank and kill everything until a homogeneous mass.
4. Put the plum puree into a multicooker container, add sugar and salt. Stir and taste. If necessary, add some sugar or add sugar.
5. Place the container in the multicooker, close the lid and start the “Quenching” mode. Cook the sauce in this mode and a half hours.
6. Spread hot sauce over sterile dry cans and roll up hermetically with iron lids. Keep in a cool place for up to three years.
Recipe 4. Tkemali from Hungarian plum
- three kilograms of Hungarian plum;
- 15 ml of vegetable oil;
- two glasses of drinking water;
- 50 g of salt;
- 300 g fresh cilantro;
- 25 g of sugar;
- 200 g of parsley;
- 15 g ground coriander;
- two heads of garlic;
- 3 g ground red pepper;
- two pods of hot red pepper.
1. Drain and iterate my. We spread the foukt into a large saucepan, fill it with water and set it on fire. As soon as the water boils, we twist the fire and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes to drain the boil.
2. Green cilantro and parsley mine. We cut the tails from the pods of hot pepper, clean the seeds and wash them. Garlic clean from the husk.
3. Plum mass fray through a colander to separate the peel and bones.
4. Puree pour into the pan, add sugar and salt. Season with coriander and ground crane pepper. Cook over low heat for half an hour.
5. Hot pepper, garlic and greens twist in a meat grinder. Add the mixture to the sauce, stir and cook for another ten minutes.
6. Hot sauce spreads on sterilized jars. Top pour in refined vegetable oil and hermetically roll up sterile caps.
Recipe 5. Tkemali from plums with thorns
- kilogram of wild small plums;
- head of garlic;
- 200 g of ripe thorns;
- hot peppers pod;
- two sweet peppers;
- “hop-suneli” seasoning;
- granulated sugar.
1. Wash and peel green plums. We do the same with thorns.
2. Rinse the sweet pepper, wipe and cut it in half. Remove the tail with seeds. Cut a stalk from hot pepper and scrub the seeds. Rinse greens and lightly dry.
3. Put everything in a blender container, add spices and perebite everything to a state of mashed potatoes or chop with a meat grinder.
4. Transfer the resulting mass to the pan, add sugar and hop-suneli seasoning. Salt and add to the mixture a mixture of pepper, herbs and garlic. Stir and put the container on fire. Bring sauce to a boil, twist the fire and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 5. Spread hot sauce in sterile bottles and tightly screw on the lids.
Recipe 6. Tkemali from Walnut Plums
- three walnuts;
- a kilo of cherry plum;
- 5 g of imeretinsky saffron;
- head of garlic;
- dill, mint and cilantro;
- 10 g of salt;
- hot peppers pod;
- 15 g of sugar;
- 5 g of coriander.
Method of Preparation
1. Put the washed plum into the pan, pour it with water so that it covers the fruit. Put the pan on the fire and cook for 15 minutes. Then cool to a warm state and grind the drain through a sieve. Bones and skin are removed. We do not pour out the water in which the plum is boiled.
2. Clean the chives. Cut off the tail of the hot pepper pod and clean the seeds. Put garlic, walnuts, hot peppers and greens in the blender container. Salt and add sugar. We interrupt everything in a pulsating mode until homogeneity.
3. Add to this mixture puree of cherry plum and smash again until smooth.
4. The resulting mass is transferred to the pan, pour in some water, in which the drain was cooked, and put the container with the plum mass on the fire. Cook over low heat since boiling up ten minutes.
5. Lay out the hot sauce in sterile jars, tightly close them with lids and cool them completely. Keep the sauce in a dark cool place.
Recipe 7. Tkemali from plums with basil
- 80 ml of olive oil;
- a kilo of cherry plum;
- 50 ml of drinking water;
- 5 g red ground pepper;
- 100 g of sugar;
- 60 g cilantro, parsley, basil and dill;
- 25 g of salt.
1. Green and plum wash well. Put in a large cherry plum pot, add water so that it completely covers the fruit. Boil the cherry plum until it becomes soft. 2. Put boiled cherry plum in a sieve, and grind with a wooden spatula. Skins and bones throw out.
3. Pour the puree back into the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Add to the plum puree washed and finely chopped greens, crushed garlic and chopped very finely burning peppers. Salt and mix thoroughly. Boil the sauce from the moment it boils for about 20 minutes, until the mass thickens.
5. Pour the hot Tkemali sauce into jars or bottles. Top with refined oil. Hermetically roll up and leave until fully cooled. Put the sauce in the basement or storeroom for storage.
Tkemali from Plums - Tips and Tricks
- For sauce, take moderately ripe yellow, blue or red plums.
- Do not cook the sauce for too long, so that it does not lose its tastes and benefits.
- You can prepare tkemali sauce from different types of cherry plum.
- While cooking, constantly stir the sauce so that it does not burn. It is better to do it with a wooden spatula.
- To facilitate the cooking process, remove the peel from the drain, pouring boiling water over the fruit for five minutes.
- Spices and herbs can be selected based on your preferences.
- After adding all the spices to the sauce, taste it. If necessary, correct it by adding those or other spices.