It was not by chance that the cabbage caviar was named after the fish delicacy - if you scroll the ingredients for it in a meat grinder or chop it in a combine, then the small grains of vegetables really look like gorgeous eggs bursting in your mouth.
This is a classic and very popular billet for the winter. It is best to do it in August, when prices for seasonal vegetables become symbolic and a jar of your favorite salad costs a penny.
Ingredients (for 5 l of lettuce):
- young squash - 3 kg
- carrots - 700 g
- onions - 700 g
- tomatoes - 4-5 pieces. (or 2 tbsp. Tomato paste)
- water - 200 ml.
- sunflower oil - 300 g
- vinegar - 3-4 tbsp. l
- salt - 2 tbsp. l
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l
- bay leaf, ground pepper
1. Wash zucchini, thinly peel them with a vegetable peeler and cut the fruit into cubes. Squashes should be taken young or of medium maturity, but not fully matured. Maturity is determined by the appearance of the fruit and seeds: fully mature zucchini has a yellowish hard skin and firm, fully formed seeds. If the seeds are small and soft, then zucchini can be used for harvesting.
2. Skip zucchini through a meat grinder or grind in a combine. As a result, slices of zucchini should be slightly larger than potatoes, grated for pancakes.
3. Peel and slice the carrots.
4. Grind it the same way.
5. Wash and slice the onions.
6. Grind and add to the rest of the vegetables. If you are cooking a small portion of caviar, you can chop all the vegetables together.
7. With the tomatoes, remove the peel and crush them in a mortar.
8. Stir the mass thoroughly, add water and put the stew over moderate heat.
9. Stew vegetables for 30 minutes. Then add sunflower oil, tomato paste (if it was used instead of tomatoes), salt, sugar, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer the eggs for another 30-50 minutes until ready. A few minutes before removing from heat, add vinegar.
10. After removing from the heat, immediately lay the eggs in sterile jars and roll them up.