It is interesting that beet, which began to be processed into sugar at the dawn of the 19th century, has only white-gray roots, and the dining room, which is familiar to cooks, can be of all colors.
All shades of red-lilac - classic, with famous varieties:
- Bordeaux 237 - bred by domestic breeders in 1943, resistant to drought and frost, rather sweet;
- Bravo - does not lose its taste during storage until the new harvest; 99% is known for its germination and immunity to disease;
- Ataman is a juicy flesh, the variety is appetizing in blanks, it has cylindrical fruits, unpretentious to soil types.
In the rest of the palette, you can pay attention to the varieties:
- Chioggia - bred in the area of Venice, especially effective in cross-cutting, opening on the cut clear white and red rings;
- Golden Detroit - even adult fruits retain the delicate juiciness of young root vegetables, differ in the yellow-golden color of the flesh, and also in leaves that taste like spinach;
- Albina Vereduna - excellent in dishes where coloring of other products is undesirable, the pulp melting in the mouth is almost non-fibrous.
The Baby Beat variety, whose first crop is already ripening in 60 days (weighing 150-250 grams by the end of the full cycle in 90 days), is very popular and sweet.
Beetroot is a valuable dietary product with such qualities:
- energy value of only 43 kcal per 100 g;
- it contains vitamins C, E, A and the whole group B;
- it exceeds yogurt, buckwheat and tuna in potassium;
- and sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and chlorine are present in smaller quantities;
- at the expense of fiber improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- improves the condition of the heart, the hormonal female system, cleans the liver.
In order to fully experience these and other useful properties, it is recommended to eat a vegetable three or four times a week. And with a lot of beet recipes in the kitchens of the world, she is not bored.
Unusual recipes with beets
- 500 g of beets;
- fresh cilantro and parsley;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 100 g of walnuts;
- white wine vinegar;
- 50 g yellow raisins;
- 1 tsp. seasonings utsho-suneli.
- Wash washed, not peeled beets, wrap in foil and send to the oven for about 1 hour, bake at 190-200 ° C. Peel off the finished vegetable, grate the beets on a fine grater.
- Raise the raisins for 3 minutes with boiling water, drain in a colander.
- Fry the nuts in a dry frying pan and chop together with the greens and garlic in the blender bowl (scroll through a meat grinder / just chop finely).
- Add seasoning, salt and pepper to the nut mix.
- Combine nuts and beets, add raisins, add slightly of vinegar for sourness (can be replaced with lemon juice).
- Form balls of the resulting mass, put them on a dish. Decorate with fresh greens and pomegranate seeds.
Salad jelly “Herring under a fur coat”
- 1 large beets;
- 2 medium carrots;
- 10 g of gelatin;
- 250 g of salted herring;
- a pinch of black ground pepper;
- 370 g of mayonnaise;
- 0.5 tsp. salts;
- 3 boiled chicken eggs;
- 100 g green peas;
- half a glass of water;
- 2 small potatoes.
- Soak gelatin in cold water.
- Boil potatoes, carrots and beets. Peel the vegetables and also like eggs, grate on a coarse grater.
- Mix eggs with peas.
- Cut the fish into small pieces.
- When the gelatin swells, put it on the stove and warm it until it is completely dissolved, then remove from the heat and quickly mix with the mayonnaise. Salt and pepper sauce.
- Mix another warm mayonnaise mixture with products individually - potatoes, carrots, beets, as well as eggs with peas.
- Fill, tightly packing, with the constituent elements of the salad a suitable form in such a sequence starting from the bottom layer - beets, carrots, herring (and it is important - you should not interfere with it with mayonnaise), potatoes, and peas.
- Put the snack in the fridge for about 4 hours.
Red Velvet Cake
- 150 g of beets;
- 80 ml of kefir;
- 110 ml of olive oil;
- a pinch of salt;
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar;
- 280 g cream cheese;
- 240 g of flour;
- 1 pack of butter;
- 300 g of sugar;
- 100 g lingonberry jam;
- 15 ml of wine vinegar;
- 150 ml of milk;
- 8 g baking powder;
- 1 tbsp. l cocoa;
- 6 eggs.
- Wash the beets, wrap in foil and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes, bake at 190-200 ° C. Peel the prepared vegetable, chop it coarsely and mash it in a blender bowl.
- Add 150 g of plain sugar and a bag of vanilla to puree, pour in vegetable oil, kefir with milk, pour vinegar and salt.
- Break 2 eggs into a mass.
- Combine flour, baking powder and cocoa, transfer the dry ingredients to the beets, mix everything.
- Pour the dough into a mold (about 18 cm) and place in an oven preheated to 180 ° C for 25-30 minutes.
- Gently cut the sponge cake into 3 cakes, and also cut it into thin pieces and chop the tip into crumb.
- Pour water into a saucepan on the stove, add 30 g of sugar. When it dissolves in boiling water, add jam and boil on low heat for another couple of minutes. Cool the lingonberry syrup.
- Carefully combine cream cheese and soft butter in one mass.
- Separate squirrels from 4 eggs (yolks can be used as you like - they are not needed).
- Add 120 g of regular sugar and a second bag of vanilla to proteins. Place the dishes with them in a water bath, heat up to about 60 ° C and start to beat until strong peaks. Allow the whipped mass to cool.
- Mixing in small portions, combine the proteins with the cheese mass, whipping gently in the mixing process.
- Divide the finished cream into about 3 parts.
- Assemble the cake in this order. Put the first cake on a plate, soak it in syrup, mix it with cream. Cover with a second cake, soak it, too, syrup and cover with cream. Put the third cake, soak in syrup.
- Cover the sides and top of the cake with the remaining cream. Use for their decoration previously crushed crumb top biscuit. Or you can decorate the top of the cake with candied berries of lingonberry, cranberry.