In order to make a tasty snack, it is not necessary to use expensive products. An excellent confirmation of this is a tomato salad with onions, which is usually made for the winter according to one of the simple recipes. It's amazing how savory and tasty can be the combination of these two vegetables: sour-sweet tomatoes and slightly spicy, sweet-bitter pickled onions. It is not by chance that there are a lot of recipes for salad, in which this modest, but harmonious vegetable duet dominates, and the housewives do not tire of inventing new and new versions of onion and tomato vegetable appetizers.
If you are not too rich in home canning, however, you are eager to make a simple but very tasty appetizer for the winter, then you should consider an option like a salad of tomatoes and onions. It is very easy to prepare for the winter, you just need to know a few basic principles and follow the recipe.
- Tomatoes for salad are most often chopped; however, it is not worth taking an opportunity to take the spoiled fruit for making snacks, which are a pity to throw away. The result of this experiment will be deplorable: if you regret the vegetables, you will spoil the whole salad. Choose fresh and hard fruits for it, then the snack and after preservation will look appetizing. The taste of it, too, in this case will not disappoint.
- Onions for salad need to choose good quality too. Cut it into a salad is not too small, rings or half rings, so that the taste of this ingredient in the salad is not lost.
- A salad will look more beautiful if you use differently colored tomatoes for it. The same applies to Bulgarian pepper, if it is part of the snack according to the recipe.
- Tomatoes for salad should be cleaned, since the skin of canned tomatoes is not very pleasant. But to cut the fruit should not be very small, otherwise in the process of cooking, they will turn into a mash.
- Be sure to sterilize the jars, which are going to lay out a snack, designed for long-term storage. Lids to these banks pick up metal so that you can close the container tightly. These covers also need to be sterilized by boiling for 10 minutes.
Tomato salad can be prepared in two ways: with and without sterilization. In the first case, the salad is not cooked or cooked for a very short time, thereby preserving the beautiful appearance and benefit of the vegetables it contains. In the second case, the appetizer is subjected to a sufficiently long heat treatment, after which it no longer needs sterilization. Which option to choose, each hostess decides independently.
A simple recipe for tomato salad with onions for the winter
Composition (2 liters):
- tomatoes - how many will go into the banks (approximately 1, 2-1, 5 kg);
- onions - 0, 2 kg;
- fresh greens - 50 g;
- bay leaf - 1 pc .;
- black pepper peas - 4-6 pcs .;
- allspice peas - 4-6 pcs .;
- salt - 20 g;
- sugar - 40 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 20 ml;
- vegetable oil - 20 ml;
- water - 1 l.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the tomatoes. On the side opposite the stem, with a sharp knife make a small cross-shaped incision. Boil the water, dip the tomatoes in it, boil them for 2 minutes. Take out the vegetables with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl filled with cold water. When the tomatoes are cool, remove them from the water and peel off the skins.
- Using a sharp knife (better than a specially designed tomato), cut the tomatoes into round slices about half a centimeter thick.
- Free the onions from the peel and cut it into half rings 2-3 cm thick.
- Fold the tomatoes into one-liter jars, sprinkling the mugs with onion rings. Banks should be washed with soda and sterilized in advance.
- Put celery, dill and parsley on top. Part of the green can be put on the bottom of the jar.
- Boil water, dissolve salt and sugar in it, add spices and boil brine with them for 5 minutes.
- Pour vinegar in each jar at the rate of 10 ml per liter container.
- Pour the vegetables in the boiling marinade.
- Top up with oil.
- Cover with lids.
- Put the jars in a large saucepan, pre-bedded cloth. Pour in water so that it reaches the shoulders of the cans.
- Put the pan on the fire and wait until the water in it starts to boil. Note the time: in order to sterilize one-liter jar, you need 15 minutes, if the bank is of a smaller volume, time can be reduced, and if the bank has a larger capacity, then, on the contrary, increase.
- Remove the jars from the pan and roll them up.
- Turn the jars upside down and cover them with a warm blanket. In the conditions of a steam bath there is an additional preservation of vegetables.
After the banks have cooled down, they can be moved to a pantry or other place where supplies are stored for the winter. A snack can stand at room temperature. For the same recipe, you can make a salad in a spicy marinade. In this case, in the brine during its preparation you need to add a few clove buds and half a stick of cinnamon. The rest of the recipe will remain the same.
Tomato salad with onions “Autumn”
Composition (3 liters):
- tomatoes - 1 kg;
- onions - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 0, 5 kg;
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 kg;
- tomato juice - 0, 7 l;
- vegetable oil - 125 ml;
- salt - 20 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 50 ml;
- sugar - 60 g;
- ground paprika - 20-40 g.
Method of preparation:
- Wash tomatoes, pour boiling water and peel them. Cut them into medium-sized slices. If you have very small tomatoes, such as cherry tomatoes, then it is enough to cut them into 2-4 pieces (some even leave them whole). The main thing, do not forget to cut the seal near the stem, as it does not add a pleasant taste to the snack.
- Wash the pepper. Cut the stalk, remove the seeds. Cut the peppers into 4 pieces and chop them into quarters of rings.
- Scrape carrots, wash and dry. Grate, using the grater for Korean salads, as the carrots chopped in this way in salads look more appetizing. However, in the absence of the above grater, you can use the usual - the taste of snacks will not be affected.
- Put the carrots in a saucepan with a thick bottom and cover with tomato juice, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and sugar, stir. After another 5 minutes, pour in the oil and put the remaining vegetables.
- Stew the vegetables for 20 minutes and pour in the vinegar. Stir and cook another 5 minutes.
- Spread the snack on prepared cans and roll up. Some for reliability prefer to sterilize the cans with salad before seaming for 15-20 minutes, however this precaution is unnecessary - the salad is well worth the whole winter at room temperature.
- Turn the cans over, wrap them up. After a day, remove to a place of permanent storage.
Salad made according to this recipe is not only tasty, but also useful. After all, it is the most favorite of many vegetables.
Salad of green tomatoes and onions for the winter
Composition (6 liters):
- green tomatoes - 3 kg;
- onions - 1, 5 kg;
- Bulgarian pepper - 1, 5 kg;
- carrots - 1 kg;
- salt - 100 g;
- sugar - 0, 2 kg;
- vegetable oil - 0, 3 l;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 30 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Wash tomatoes and blot with a towel. Cut out their stalks. Slice the vegetables into thin slices.
- Cut the peeled onion into half rings.
- Rub carrots.
- Pepper, freed from seeds, chop straws.
- Fold the vegetables into a saucepan, mix.
- In a separate container, mix the butter, salt, and sugar. Boil this mixture. Hold on fire for 10 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable mixture with boiling oil, mix. Put the salad in the fridge for 6 hours.
- Sterilize the jars, fill them with salad, tamping down the vegetables with a spoon. Pour the remaining juice in the saucepan, pour the right amount of vinegar into each jar.
- Sterilize the jars with salad for 15-20 minutes, seal the bottle, turn it over. Wrap and leave until the next day.
Appetizer made from green tomatoes with onions has a completely unique taste.
If you want to cook a simple, but unusual and very tasty snack for the winter, then a salad of tomatoes and onions is your option.