Jewish cuisine is famous for many dishes, one of which is gefilte fish. This is a fish stuffed with vegetables, stewed in an aromatic broth. Most often, gefilte fish is made from pike or carp, which is stuffed whole or in pieces. Carp stuffed in Hebrew is a unique dish whose analogues are not easy to find. At first glance it may seem that only a true master of his craft can repeat this culinary masterpiece in his kitchen. However, in Zhytomyr, for example, it is prepared in almost every home. So the usual hostess can cope with the task if she knows the recipe and features of the technology.
Knowing the secrets of cooking stuffed carp in Hebrew will allow you to cook a tasty dish and avoid unpleasant surprises.
- This requires large fish weighing from one and a half to two kilograms, as it is prepared in portions. If they are small, they will be difficult to stuff, and they will not look so appetizing.
- You can also use frozen food, but only if there is no damage on the fish. At the same time defrost it better gradually in the refrigerator.
- Regardless of whether you are going to cook fresh or frozen fish, it is very important that there are no breaks on the skin. When carving meat from pieces of carp, you need to take care not to tear the skin.
- If you want to cook the whole stuffed carp (the traditional recipe allows it), then it should be rolled off with a rolling pin beforehand, so the meat will be better off the skin and the bones. However, you can do this with carp even if you plan to make it in pieces.
- When boiling broth, head, fins and bones of carp, place them in a gauze bag so that they are easier to remove and do not spoil the look of the dish.
- At the end of cooking, pour a pinch of citric acid into the broth and pour 50-100 ml of beetroot juice. Then the broth will acquire a ruby color.
- Do not stuff carp skin with minced meat too tightly: it can tear during cooking.
- If the stuffing turns out to be too dense, dilute it with milk in which the bread is soaked.
- If you are not sure that the broth turned out to be rich enough to cool down, turn into jelly, add gelatin to it. Half a teaspoonful of gelatin is enough to make a snack from a two-kilogram carp.
They serve carp stuffed in Hebrew as a cold snack.
Recipe for carp stuffed in Hebrew
- carp - 2 kg;
- onions - 100 g;
- carrots - 0, 4 kg;
- beets - 0, 4 kg (in addition, you can take 1 pc in order to squeeze the juice out of it and tint the broth with it);
- celery root (optional) - 50 g;
- parsley root (optional) - 20 g;
- chicken eggs - 4 pcs .;
- butter - 50 g;
- long loaf crumb (stale) - 100 g;
- milk - 50-60 ml;
- gelatin - 2-3 g;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs .;
- black pepper peas - 8 pcs .;
- salt, black pepper - to taste;
- citric acid - a pinch;
- potatoes - 0, 4 kg;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- fresh parsley - 5 sprigs.
Method of preparation:
- Wash and clean the whole carp. Cut off his head, cut off the tail and fins. Rinse them and save to cook broth.
- Carefully penetrating inside the carp with a knife through a hole on the side where the head was, trim the insides at the anus and gut the fish. Rinse gently. Cut into pieces about 5 cm thick.
- Dry the pieces with paper napkins. Carefully separate the meat from the bones and from the skin with a knife, without cutting it.
- Baton crumble and fill with warm milk, leave to soak.
- Peel the onions, cut into several pieces.
- Twice the soaked long loaf, carp meat and onion in a meat grinder.
- In the mince smash raw eggs, mix well, at the same time salt it and pepper.
- Stuff carp pieces (skin and bones) with minced meat.
- Peel the carrots and beets, cut them into circles about 5 mm thick.
- Put a layer of vegetables in the bottom of the pan.
- On the vegetable “cushion”, spread the stuffed fish pieces.
- From above, put a layer of vegetables again, fish on them. Spit vegetables and fish, alternating, until they run out.
- Pour water into the pan so that it completely covers the fish.
- Fold in a gauze bag or simply wrap a fish head, tail and fins in gauze. Dip the pouch into the water. Throw peppercorns, laurel leaves and roots in it.
- Place the pan on the fire and bring to a boil. Add oil to it, reduce heat. Simmer under the lid 1, 5-2 hours, if necessary, topping up boiled water.
- While the fish is boiling, boil the potatoes, peel and cut into slices.
- Cut the lemon into half rings.
- Pour gelatin with a tablespoon of cool water.
- After the time specified in the recipe, carefully remove the carp pieces from the pan, spread them nicely on a large dish.
- Strain the broth, pour it into a clean pan. Add in it citric acid, gelatin and the juice squeezed from fresh beet of the average size. Beet for this need to grate. Heat and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Cook for 5 minutes.
- On a platter next to the fish, arrange the potatoes and lemon, decorate it with parsley sprigs.
- Pour broth and cool. To broth turned into jelly.
Usually, carp stuffed in Hebrew is served on a large dish, but it can be cooked in portions, putting each piece of fish on a separate plate and filling with broth.
Some stuff the carp whole, as when cooking stuffed pike, and cut it into pieces later. It does not affect the appearance and taste of the dish, so you can choose the way that you think is more convenient.
Carp stuffed in Hebrew is a banquet dish that will always decorate the festive table, regardless of the occasion.