Japanese cuisine dishes have a unique taste, and they are nourishing and healthy. Sushi and rolls are popular all over the world, recently they have won thousands of fans among our compatriots. Among fans of Japanese cuisine there is no consensus about which rolls can be considered the most delicious. After all, the answer to this question is not easy to find. Each type of rolls has unique organoleptic qualities, and any, even the smallest changes made to the recipe, allow you to get new flavors. However, if we analyze the statistics of orders of dishes in sushi bars and Japanese restaurants, we can distinguish several types of rolls, which visitors prefer. These include rolls with a beautiful and bright name - “Lava”. They got their name because of the sauce of a pleasant red-orange hue, which is served. It is this food that gives this dish its unique look and original taste, for which so many of our compatriots appreciate it. Not surprisingly, many hostesses are not averse to learning how to cook this masterpiece of Japanese cuisine with their own hands. This task is not overwhelming: knowing the recipe and some of the subtleties of making lava sauce for sushi and rolls is not difficult to prepare.
There is no single recipe for making lava rolls. In other words, almost any of them served with lava sauce, have the right to bear this name. However, most often this dish is made from sheets of nori, rice, salmon or trout, Philadelphia cheese and masago caviar. Rice are covered with a sheet of nori, smeared with caviar masago, covered with a mat, turned over. After that, the nori is smeared with cheese, laid out pieces of fish, rolled into a tube and cut into 6 pieces. Sometimes it includes fresh cucumber, watercress. If you cook “Lava” rolls according to this recipe, you cannot go wrong, but it is still more important to make the lava sauce itself, the recipe of which most often does not undergo significant changes.
- The main ingredients of the lava sauce are scallops and flying fish roe. It is important to choose and prepare these ingredients.
- Flying fish roe has a reddish color, thanks to it, ready-made lava sauce and has its unusual shade. For this reason, replacing this ingredient with something is undesirable. However, unscrupulous manufacturers can sell painted pollock roe under the guise of flying fish roe. In order not to purchase a fake, it is advisable to buy caviar in stores with a good reputation from reliable manufacturers.
- Frozen scallops are sold today in many supermarkets, so buying them is not a big deal. When buying, pay attention to the expiration date, as well as the lack of a large amount of snow and ice in the package, which may indicate a violation of storage conditions.
- Before cooking the sauce, scallops must be thawed beforehand. It is best to give them the opportunity to thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature, without speeding up the process using a microwave. Thawed scallops are washed thoroughly, dried with a napkin and only then crushed with a knife.
- To give the sauce an even brighter flavor, chopped scallops can be lightly fried in vegetable oil. This should be done in just a minute, a maximum of two minutes.
- It is quite possible to replace frozen scallops with canned ones - this will have a slight effect on the taste of the prepared sauce.
Lava sauce can be served not only with rolls, but also with other Japanese dishes.
Lava Sauce Recipe
- scallops - 150 g;
- vegetable oil - 20 ml;
- flying fish roe - 50 g;
- mayonnaise - 60 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Thaw the scallops, rinse in running water, blot each with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the scallops as small as possible with a knife.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Put pieces of scallops in it and fry, stirring for a half to two minutes.
- Transfer the crushed scallops to a clean bowl. Wait for them to cool completely.
- Put three tablespoons of mayonnaise in a bowl, mix.
- Add flying fish roe, stir again. The sauce must have an absolutely homogeneous consistency.
- Put the sauce on rolls - a teaspoon for each roll. The sauce prepared from the amount of ingredients specified in this recipe should be enough for three servings.
Frying scallops for lava sauce is not necessary. If you decide to use them raw, you do not need oil. The rest of the recipe and cooking technology will be identical. Japanese lava sauce is used for cooking rolls with the same name, served to sushi. It has an unusual reddish color, delicate flavor, which give it the main ingredients included in its composition. Some mistresses replace scallops with shrimps, and flying fish eggs with other caviar, such as carp caviar, which has a suitable shade. However, in this case, the sauce will be similar to the original only in appearance. Therefore, it is still better not to save on ingredients and use a proven recipe.