How many dishes can be made from rice: pilaf, sushi, rolls, casserole, risotto, rice milk porridge. And for each dish it is prepared in a special way. After all, it takes into account what the rice should be at the outlet and which variety was chosen for its preparation.
There are many varieties of rice, which differ not only in appearance and taste, but also in their ability to absorb water during cooking. So, and the time of its preparation will always be different. So how to understand the variety of rice varieties, its recipes and cooking methods?
Choice of rice variety for a dish
In order for the pilaf not to turn to porridge, and sushi not to be scattered on single plates, you need to know a few rules for choosing rice:
- Long-grain rice is good for pilaf, which during cooking does not boil soft and keeps its grain well. For the same purpose, you can buy rice designed specifically for pilaf. The grain of such rice is dense and with less gluten.
- But round rice is good for cooking puddings, cereals, cabbage rolls. This cereal is well boiled soft.
- Steamed rice is good for side dishes.
Variety selected. Now you need to decide on the dishes in which rice will cook.
In which dish cook rice
Enameled dishes are not suitable for cooking rice. In it, he can burn.
It is best to use a thick-walled pot, saucepan or cauldron.
If pilaf is cooked, it is advisable to stop the choice on a wide cauldron or frying pan with high sides, because it is noticed that rice cooks evenly in a wide dish, but in a high and narrow container it can burn from the bottom and remain hard and dry on top.
Preparing rice for cooking
- First, the rice is sorted, removing any impurities, pebbles and spoiled grains.
- Then it is washed. This must be done, because, firstly, it can be dirty, and secondly, just washing makes the rice less sticky, because part of the starch is washed out with water. The croup is washed in several waters. First, in warm water, then each time the temperature is increased. The last time the water for washing the rice should be within 70 °.
- For cooking many dishes, rice should be soaked before heat treatment. This action significantly reduces the cooking time, and the grains are evenly absorbed by moisture and do not burst when cooked, remaining whole.
- After soaking or after washing (if the grain was not soaked), the rice is spread on a sieve to drain all the water. Rice is ready for cooking.
How to cook rice
There are many ways to cook rice. And there are no certain rules. Varies the amount of water per serving of rice, as well as the time of heat treatment. It depends on the variety of rice, its moisture, dishes, in which it will boil, and also on taste preferences. Indeed, in every country, rice cooking is different.
How to cook rice in Japanese
- 1 tbsp. rice is washed and dried on a sieve.
- In 1, 5, Art. boiling water put a teaspoon of salt.
- Fall asleep rice.
- Tightly close the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove and allow the rice to stand for another 12 minutes.
- Open the lid.
How to cook rice in Azerbaijani way
- Take a deep and wide pan and pour salted boiling water in it to half the height.
- They tie a saucepan with a cotton napkin - very tightly so that it does not fall off during cooking.
- Pour the washed rice onto a napkin.
- They put a small piece of butter on it.
- The rice is covered with a deep bowl, turning it upside down.
- Cook over high heat for about 25 minutes.
How to cook rice in Vietnamese
- Rice is sorted out.
- Without washing, fry in a pan, adding 1 tbsp. l butter on 1 tbsp. rice.
- The light-beige rice that has become is shifted to another dish and poured a glass of boiling water.
- Cook over a moderate fire under cover until tender.
How to cook rice in the Far East
- One glass of rice is sorted and washed.
- Pour cold water (1, 2 cups) into the pan.
- Fall asleep rice.
- Cover the pan tightly with a lid and bring it to a boil over the biggest fire.
- Reduce flame to medium and boil for 10 minutes.
- They also reduce the heat to low and boil for 5 minutes.
- Quickly open the lid, spread a napkin over the pan and close the lid again.
- Wait another 10 minutes.
How to cook boiled rice
- The rice is sorted and washed.
- Pour into boiling salted water. There should be much more water than is required to absorb rice.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Readiness of rice is checked by crushing the seeds with fingers.
- Throw rice in a colander and spread it in a bowl. Add butter.
How to cook rice in the microwave
The advantage of cooking rice in the microwave is that it does not burn in this oven. To do this, the hostess should have special dishes, such as a ceramic pan, which can be put in a microwave.
- The rice is sorted and washed thoroughly.
- Soak for one hour.
- Spread on sieve to glass water.
- Pour water into a saucepan at the rate of 2 glasses of water for 1 cup of rice and bring to the boil in the microwave. Salt and add a tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Lay the rice, mix, close the lid tightly.
- At maximum power, cook for five minutes.
- Reduce power to a minimum and cook another 15-20 minutes.
- The microwave is turned off, but the pan is not removed for another fifteen minutes.
- The rice is gently stirred.
Rice cooking rules that a hostess should know
- Rice is tasty if cooked in meat broth.
- It is not recommended to cook crumbly rice porridge in large containers, because rice is cooked unevenly in them.
- The amount of water for cooking rice may be different in each case. If it is a lot, water is poured below normal. And with a small amount of rice, which is boiled in a small and low bowl, such as a stewpan, water is poured more than the norm, because it will quickly evaporate. Suppose if for one glass of cereal one and a half glasses of water are taken, then for two glasses of rice, it will be necessary to take not three glasses of water, but a third less glass.
- In the classic version, two glasses of water are taken for one cup of rice. But in many recipes, the rate of water is reduced by half or half. However, this does not make the rice worse. As stated at the beginning, it all depends on the ability of rice to absorb moisture.
- Salt is put before filling rice.
- The croup is poured into a boiling liquid.
- At the initial stage, rice is stirred, but not round, but from bottom to top, as if lifting the cereal from the bottom.
- While cooking rice, the liquid should not boil much.
- When the rice thickens and the water is evaporated, the porridge cannot be mixed in order not to disturb the integrity of the grain. The lid should be closed at this time.
- To prevent the rice from boiling loose, add a few tablespoons of cold milk to the boiling water.
- To make the rice white, a little vinegar is added to the water during cooking.
But whatever method the hostess chooses for cooking rice, it should be based on her own feelings and intuition. That is, by trial and error, she will soon be able to cook excellent rice: crumbly, white and fragrant!