Despite the fact that a lot of canned products from green peas appeared on the shelves of shops, hostesses increasingly prefer green peas frozen. After all, it is in frozen peas that all nutrients are stored completely.
Useful properties of green peas
- In the green peas there are vitamins C, B, folic acid, iron, iodine, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium.
- Green peas contain choline, methionine, lecithin, which are responsible for fat metabolism.
- In a pea there is a lot of protein, carbohydrates, in particular starch.
- There is inositol in green peas, which is useful for good heart work.
- Peas are recommended to be eaten as a prophylactic agent for anemia, atherosclerosis, and goiter.
How to freeze peeled green peas
Well-formed green pods are suitable for freezing green peas, whole, with no signs of damage with delicate fleshy peas.
Since green peas quickly lose their attractive appearance and shrivel, it needs to be processed as quickly as possible.
- Green pea pods are peeled. The peas are sorted, removing yellow, unformed, shriveled, diseased.
- As soon as the first batch of peas is prepared, it is placed in a colander and washed in cold water.
- So that the peas do not darken during the freeze and retain their green color, they put it in small batches in a colander and immerse them in boiling water, blanching two minutes. Then immediately cooled in cold water.
- Prepared peas are laid out on clean towels and dried, wetting and paper towels on top.
- In order for green peas not to form one large lump during freezing, sprinkle it in a thin layer on a tray and put it in the freezer until it hardens. While peas freeze, prepare the next batch.
- Frozen peas are poured into small sachets or plastic containers and put into the freezer. Do not forget to sign the date of freezing, as green peas are stored in a frozen state for about eight months.
This method of freezing is suitable if the peas are slightly overripe. This technique helps to improve its taste.
This option is a bit simpler.
- Green pea pods are washed in running water, put on clean towels and dried.
- Then the pods are peeled, simultaneously discarding small, shapeless and shriveled peas. Since the pods are already clean, you do not need to wash the peas. Also, the peas do not require drying, so the harvest time is reduced by half.
- Green peas are packaged in food plastic bags, give them a flat rectangular shape, releasing as much air as possible, tie them well and put them in the freezer compartment for freezing and further storage.
Green peas can also be packaged in plastic containers with well-closed lids and freeze in this form. This method is suitable in the case if the peas are soft, juicy, tender, sweet and not rough.
How to freeze green peas in pods
Young green pea pods of sugar varieties can be frozen completely. This method is suitable if the pod is not fully ripe, there are small peas of milk maturity, and the valves themselves are soft and tender. Sugar varieties are also preferred because such pods do not have a parchment-like film on the inside of the valves. Such unripe shovels are used to make soups, salads and main dishes.
- Green pea pods wash, remove damaged, yellowed and diseased.
- Then the pods are cut from both sides of the pods. Optionally, the pods can be cut into two or three parts.
- Prepared pods are placed in small batches in a colander, immersed in boiling water and blanched for 2-3 minutes. Then immediately immerse them in cold water for rapid cooling.
- After that, lay the pods on a towel to drain water and leave for some time to dry.
- Dried pods are packed in plastic containers or in small plastic bags and stored in the freezer for later storage.
Such frozen peas can be stored in the freezer until the next harvest.
To make soups, green peas and pods, without defrosting, are dipped in boiling water or broth and boiled for 3-5 minutes.
If the peas are needed fresh, they defrost it naturally, by shifting the packing with green peas from the freezer to the refrigerator.