It is hard to forget that grandmother’s aromatic, amber jam made from whole small apples, and the warmth that we experienced in childhood in her cozy kitchen.
Make your memories brighter, give your children the very taste you can by preparing jam from whole apples according to our simple recipes.
Whole Apple Jam - General Cooking Principles
For the preparation of this delicacy you will need small or not too large apples of any kind. This may be Chinese, ranetki, Siberian and other varieties with a diameter of not more than 3-3.5 cm. To make the jam not only tasty, but also beautiful, choose fruits of the same size for each batch.
The apples are first sorted out, removing the faded, rotten fruits, then they are thoroughly washed and dried. To prevent apples from being crushed, cracked or burst during cooking, they are pierced in several places with a needle or a toothpick just before cooking.
The apples with tails look charmingly, so this part of the fruit is not removed, which greatly simplifies the process of pre-processing the fruit.
In addition to apples, sugar syrup is necessarily part of the jam, in which apples are infused and boiled. Syrup is made from sugar and plain water. Cook it, stirring it so that it does not burn and does not acquire an unpleasant rancid taste.
Also, to add new interesting flavors, in addition to jam, you can put any other fruits and berries: oranges, lemons, black chokeberry, hawthorn and others. And for a special exquisite flavor add vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks.
Whole apple jam is a great dessert for tea and coffee. In addition, fragrant, caramel apples can decorate tarts, cakes, pastries.
Recipe 1. Clear whole apple jam
• 1, 2 kg of small apples;
• glass of water;
• 220 g sugar.
Cooking: 1. We sort out apples, put them in a large bowl and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
2. We pierce each fruit in several places with a needle or a toothpick.
3. We shift the prepared apples into a large saucepan.
4. Boil sugar syrup in a small saucepan: boil water, pour sugar into it, simmer over low heat until all the sugar particles are completely dissolved.
5. Gently pour apples with hot syrup. Do not mix.
6. Remove the saucepan with apples in the syrup for a day to infuse.
7. Put the jam on a slow fire, boil five to six minutes after boiling.
8. Again insist apples during the day.
9. Boil apples for ten minutes, then lay them hot in sterile jars.
10. We cool the billet by wrapping the container with a warm blanket, transferring it to storage in a cool place.
Recipe 2. Whole apple jam with lemon in a slow cooker
• 1 kg 350 g apples;
• two lemons;
• 1 kg of 100 g of sugar;
• 250 ml of water.
1. Properly wash the apples, pre-sorting them. Drain.
2. My lemons, rubbing the rind with a brush, cut into small cubes with zest.
3. We shift the apples mixed with lemon in a multi-cooker bowl, pour sugar. Fill with water.
4. Turn on the “Quenching” mode for 3 hours. From time to time we open the multicooker lid and gently mix the jam, trying not to put much pressure on the apples so that they do not burst.
5. We decompose the finished delicacy in sterilized jars and roll it up.
Recipe 3. Whole apple jam with orange and cinnamon in a slow cooker
• 1.7 kg of screening;
• two large oranges;
• 600 g of sugar;
• cinnamon stick (can be replaced with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon).
1. Pour boiled water over washed oranges, sort out apples and rinse thoroughly.
2. Remove the peel from the oranges, remove the white partitions, cut the flesh, removing the seeds, and rub the rind. 3. Spread zest, pulp of oranges and apples in random order in a multicooker bowl, pour in sugar.
4. Pour cinnamon powder on top or lay out cinnamon sticks.
5. We set the mode “Quenching”, prepare the jam for 2 hours.
6. After the allotted time, open the lid of the device, let the jam cool.
7. Turn on the old mode again, but now for one hour.
8. We roll the finished jam into sterilized jars, without forgetting to remove the cinnamon stick beforehand.
Recipe 4. Whole apple jam with the addition of lingonberry
• kilogram of small apples;
• 450 grams of lingonberries;
• 400 grams of sugar;
• glass of water;
• two pinches of cinnamon.
1. We sort the lingonberries, laying aside unripe fruits, crumpled and broken berries.
2. Wash under running water and prepared lingonberries, and apples. Drain, laid out on a towel.
3. Prepare a syrup from water and sugar so that when scooping it with a spoon, it is pulled out with a string.
4. Pour the lingonberries in the syrup, cook for 12 minutes, leave for an hour to infuse, turning off the heat.
5. Let the whole apples go into the syrup with lingonberries, bring to the boil, cook for 10 minutes.
6. Give the jam to cool completely, then cook another 12-15 minutes.
7. We pour the jam into prepared dry jars in hot form, roll it up, cool it, wrapping it with a warm blanket.
Recipe 5. Thick whole apple jam with walnuts in the oven
• 2 kg of small apples;
• pound of sugar;
• half a kilo of walnuts;
• one and a half glasses of water;
• ripe lemon.
1. Small apples are thoroughly washed and dried.
2. Lemon peeled and peeled. Pulp chop.
3. Nuts are ground, but not into powder, but in medium pieces.
4. Cook a fairly thick sugar syrup, spread the prepared components of jam into it.
5. Tomim dainty on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Carefully transfer fruits and nuts in syrup to a special pan for baking in the oven. 7. We warm the oven to 240 degrees, set jam.
8. As soon as the first bubbles appear, set the temperature to 100 degrees, simmer the jam, without stirring and not reaching, 3 hours.
9. Rolled up the jam in sterile jars, leave it to cool, and then remove for storage.
Recipe 6. Amber jam from whole apples with vanilla
• per kilogram of apples and sugar;
• 0.4 liters of water;
• 1/2 tsp. citric acid;
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
1. Put small apples in a large bowl and thoroughly, turning over, wash.
2. Spread on a towel, dry.
3. We pierce with a toothpick in two or three places each apple.
4. Pour water into a small container, boil it.
5. Pour sugar into boiling water, cook thick sweet syrup.
6. We put the apples into a large thick-walled pot, pour them with syrup.
7. Cook, stirring and removing the pop-up foam for 30 minutes. We look at the desired density, perhaps, it will take a little more time.
8. A few minutes before the end of the preparation, pour citric acid and vanillin into jam.
9. We shift the jam in jars and roll up.
Recipe 7. Whole apple jam with ginger
• 1.8 kg of growers or other small apples;
• A kilogram of sugar;
• Slightly more glass of water;
• 4-5 cm ginger root.
1. Ginger thoroughly cleaned and cut into thinnest plates.
2. Lemon wash and chop together with the zest lobules. It is important that the fruit is thin-skinned.
3. Ranetki sorted and washed.
4. Pour water into enamel bowl, pour sugar.
5. As soon as the mass boils, add lemon slices and ginger to the syrup. Boil on low heat for 12-14 minutes.
6. Add the prepared injections, bring the jam to a boil and immediately remove the saucepan from the heat.
7. Give the treat to cool completely and bring to a boil again.
8. Repeat the procedure with cooling and boiling two more times.
9. After the last boiling, we shift the hot jam into jars and roll it up.
Whole Apple Jam - Tricks and Cooking Secrets
• It is necessary to wash the apples carefully so that the jam does not ferment. It is best to first fill them with warm water for a quarter of an hour, and then wash them with running water.
• To keep the apples in the jam intact, try to act carefully when mixing, not intensively.
• When cooking, observe the power of the flame. If you torment the jam on low heat, it will turn out to be a beautiful golden-amber color, but a strong boiling can provoke burning, which will give the jam a brownish tint and a rancid taste.
• If you add citruses to the jam: oranges or lemons, do not forget to remove the seeds when cutting the fruit, otherwise the delicacy will be slightly bitter.
• Using peeled citruses, be sure to thoroughly rinse and scald the fruit with boiling water.
• Regulating the density of jam during cooking, do not forget that when hot it is a little thinner than the cooled jam.
• To increase the shelf life of jam, be sure to remove the foam that forms during cooking.
• Jam from whole apples can be eaten immediately, stored in a refrigerator or twisted for the winter so that you can savor the sweetness throughout the year. If you decide to keep the jam for the winter, then you definitely need to take care of the sterility and tightness of the container. To do this, thoroughly rinse the appropriate jars by adding a small amount of baking soda, and then sterilize them in any convenient way: in a double boiler, multi-cooker, microwave, oven or in a water bath. As soon as you pour the jam into the prepared container, spin the cans with clean, boiled lids.