Chocolate fondant is an exquisite French dessert, which is a biscuit dough cake with a liquid filling. Often the filling is the same dough, but did not have time to bake. The name of the dish is translated as “melting chocolate”. A delicacy appeared in the 80s of the last century, but it had already become popular far beyond the borders of France. Authorship is challenged by several confectioners. According to one of them, the fondant is the fruit of a cook's mistake, which simply didn’t make chocolate muffins. The second master claims that “chocolate lava” was the fruit of a long targeted creative search. There are also several types of fondant: the middle of the cake can be completely liquid or just soft, it can be made from black or white chocolate, often vanilla, liqueur, nuts and other ingredients are added to the dough. But even the most difficult version of this delicacy, a skilled housewife is able to cook at home, all you need to do is follow the recipe and gain some experience.
Preparing the dough for fondant, following the recommendations in the recipe, can even an inexperienced cook. The main difficulty is to bake it outside, but not to allow it to dry inside. Knowing a few points will help you do the job in the best possible way.
- Very little flour is added to the fondant dough, sometimes it is even replaced with cocoa powder. If the dough is thick, with a high content of flour, in the center it will be too dense and mealy to taste.
- Chocolate for fondant is best used bitter, with a cocoa content of at least 70 percent. If you like sweet desserts, you can compensate for the bitter taste of chocolate with an increased amount of sugar.
- Fondant oil needs to be taken with natural butter, without adding vegetable fats. Before cooking it is required to soften it, then it will be easier to mix with other products, evenly distributed in the dough.
- If you exactly follow the technology of making dough for fondant, then the yolks and proteins should be whipped separately, then combined. Separately, melt chocolate with butter, without stirring them in the process. After the ingredients are combined, stirred until homogeneous using a whisk or a mixer. At this stage, you can mix the flavor, alcoholic component, nuts, and similar ingredients into the dough.
- Fondant molds must be oiled and sprinkled with cocoa powder. It is recommended to do so even with silicone tins, from which pastries are usually well behind. The fact is that the fondant is obtained very delicate and fragile, it can be damaged by any wrong movement.
- The molds are filled with dough by only three quarters, since it can rise during the baking process.
- Fondants are baked at a temperature of from 180 to 220 degrees, placed in metal or silicone molds. In standard metal molds for melting chocolate muffins, they cook 10-12 minutes; if the molds are small or made of silicone, the baking time is reduced to 6-8 minutes. The lower the temperature in the oven, the longer you need to bake fondants. It is not recommended to open the oven door when baking dessert.
- Fondants' readiness is determined by several criteria. As soon as the chocolate sponge on top changed shade and began to look covered with a film, it was baked sufficiently; if you keep it in the oven a little longer, then it will cease to be liquid in the center. If the top of the cupcake has risen, you have already perederzhali it in the oven - in the center it will be almost the same as the outside. In Fondan, the tip looks slightly depressed. When you click on it, you feel that inside the product is soft.
- Fondants are recommended to bake when using the convection function or the “Top-Bottom” mode. If your cooker does not support such functions, the optimum temperature, position in the oven and baking time will have to be determined experimentally. First, it is recommended to cook one fondant, and, if it turns out to be sufficiently liquid inside, also prepare the remaining cupcakes.
Fondant is not only baked, but served in a special way. It must be warm, otherwise the chocolate will harden inside. Before serving, the cupcakes are notched, allowing a small amount of the filling to drain onto the plate. Near the top or put a ball of ice cream or fruit sorbent. Additionally, dessert can be decorated with strawberries, cocktail cherries, a slice of white chocolate, a sprig of mint.
Classic Chocolate Fondant Recipe
- chicken egg - 4 pcs .;
- flour - 90 g;
- butter - 180 g;
- dark chocolate (with a cocoa content of 72%) - 180 g;
- fine sugar (or powdered sugar) - 0, 2 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Remove the oil from the refrigerator in advance, chop it into pieces, leave it warm for a while to soften it.
- Sift flour.
- Chocolate break in slices. Melt it in a water bath.
- Add butter to the chocolate, mix to dissolve it. To do this, you can warm up the mass a little more in the water bath.
- Divide eggs into whites and yolks, cool.
- Beat the whites into the foam, adding a pinch of salt to them (it is possible without it).
- Spread yolks with sugar, combine with flour. Stir to avoid lumps. Mix squirrels into the dough.
- In the egg-flour mixture, in parts, add chocolate, whipping the dough with a whisk or a mixer at low speed at the same time.
- Stir the dough until it is completely smooth.
- Grease the molds with the help of a cooking brush. To prevent the butter from mixing immediately with the dough, greased tins may be briefly placed in the freezer or sprinkled with cocoa powder from the inside.
- Spread the dough into molds, filling them into three quarters.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees, including, if possible, the convection function.
- Place the molds in the oven. Cook dessert for 10-11 minutes, if the metal cups are metal and not too small, 7-8 minutes - if they are small or made of silicone.
- Remove the molds from the oven. Finger carefully check the readiness of products. After 5 minutes, tilt the molds onto plates to remove the chocolate muffins.
It remains to carefully cut the fondants, put ice cream next to it and serve delicacy to the table. There is hardly a person who can resist this sweet chocolate temptation.
White Chocolate Fondant
- chicken egg - 4 pcs .;
- white chocolate - 0, 2 kg;
- condensed milk - 0, 25 l;
- butter - 100 g;
- wheat flour - 80 g;
- vanillin - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Place the softened butter and chopped chocolate in a small bowl and melt in a water bath.
- Beat up eggs, add condensed milk to them, beat together with it.
- Combine the egg and chocolate masses, beat together.
- Stir in the flour and vanilla. It is important that the mass was homogeneous, without lumps.
- Spread the mass in a greased and flour-coated mold.
- Place the molds in an oven preheated to 200 degrees and cook the fondants for 7-11 minutes depending on their size.
- Cool the cakes lightly, transfer them from the molds to the plate.
White chocolate fondants are preferably served with chocolate ice cream.
Fondant in the microwave
- cocoa powder - 40 g;
- flour - 40 g;
- icing sugar - 40 g;
- melted butter - 40 ml;
- milk or low-fat cream - 60 ml;
- dark chocolate - 20 g.
Method of preparation:
- Mix cocoa, powdered sugar and flour.
- Mix milk and melted butter separately.
- Combine dry and liquid ingredients, mix until smooth.
- Pour the dough into two ceramic plates of at least 200 ml.
- Dip a cup of chocolate in each cup.
- Set in the microwave, turn it on at maximum power for 1 minute. If the power of your device is not too large, increase the cooking time by 1, 5 times.
Fondant is served, cooked in a microwave oven, directly in the cups. Inside, it turns out to be liquid only because the chocolate inside it melts. As a result, the dessert has significant differences from the traditional fondant, although it turns out delicious. You should not expect any other result, as the muffins during cooking in the microwave inside are heated no worse than the outside. If fondans are cooked in a microwave not in ceramic cups, but in silicone forms, they can be served to the table in the same way as traditional ones: laying out a plate of vanilla ice cream next to it for contrast. Fondan is an unusual and modern dessert with which you can surprise guests and households. He not only looks seductive, but also has a unique taste. The dough is cooked quickly and easily. How long to bake dessert and at what temperature, you can find out empirically. If you carefully follow the tips that accompany the recipe, then it is likely that everything will be done correctly the first time.