Worcestershire sauce is called English seasoning, which is prepared on the basis of fish, vinegar and sugar. It has a sweet and sour, spicy and peculiar taste.
The name of the sauce was named Worcestershire County (England), where it was first created almost two centuries ago.
The dish is considered the most famous and mysterious seasoning. His authentic recipe to the finer points is known only to British manufacturers. But which components exactly the vorstershirky sauce includes is not a secret for a long time.
Composition of Worcestershire Sauce
The sauce is prepared from more than 25 ingredients. In addition to vinegar, sugar and water in its composition should be:
- bulb onion and shallot;
- ginger and celery;
- horseradish and garlic;
- asafoetida and tamarind;
- lemon juice and nutmeg.
And this is only half the ingredients of the sauce.
Even if you use all the ingredients, the original taste is unlikely to be repeated. After all, this Worcestershire sauce must ripen in special oak barrels. And only three years later it is bottled and delivered to supermarkets and restaurants.
Sauce is popular in many countries of the world. It is very concentrated, which makes it economical to use. Sometimes a few drops are enough to decorate and transform the taste of the dish.
Which dishes adorns the Worcestershire sauce
A complex bouquet of ingredients allows Worcestershire sauce to be combined perfectly with a variety of foods. Most often seasoning is used for ready-made meat dishes: pork and chicken chops, beef tenderloin, kebab, pork chop. The sauce is poured over pasta, pancakes, dumplings, casseroles, vegetable stews. Ideal sauce for fish dishes. In combination with them, the sweet and sour taste of English seasoning is perfectly revealed.
Caesar salad and Bloody Mary alcoholic drink are also not complete without Worcestershire sauce. It is the most important ingredient in these dishes, turning them into especially tasty and savory. “Bloody Mary” makes Worcestershire sauce irresistible.
Cooking a replacement for Worcestershire sauce
Culinary masters have come up with several recipes that closely resemble the taste of Worcestershire sauce and they successfully replace it. Here are some of them:
It will take:
- 2 garlic cloves;
- a piece of ginger root;
- 3 tbsp. l french mustard;
- pinch cloves;
- 50 g of sugar;
- 2 tbsp. l salt and the same vinegar;
- one anchovy;
- half tsp. hot pepper, curry, cardamom;
- one tsp. soy sauce;
- tamarind - a quarter cup.
Cooking like this:
- Using a blender, chop the onion with garlic and ginger.
- Add mustard, cloves, cardamom and hot peppers to the mixture. Mix the ingredients again to make mashed potatoes.
- We spread the contents of the blender into a bag of gauze and fasten it securely.
- In a small deep saucepan, pour half a glass of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add tamarind, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar to the boiling liquid.
- Place a gauze bag in the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to a minimum and leave the contents of the saucepan for half an hour.
- Mix anchovy, curry and salt.
- Add to the skillet, bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce into glass dish. A bag of spices is placed there too. We send the dishes in the fridge for two weeks.
- Every day the contents of the gauze bag is pressed. Stir the sauce.
- After a specified time, squeeze the bag for the last time and remove. Strain the sauce and bottle.
Keep the seasoning in the fridge.
This method of cooking the sauce, which will replace Worcestershire, is somewhat simpler, since it involves the use of a smaller number of ingredients.
It will take:
- half a liter of vinegar;
- shallots - 2 heads;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- anchovies (1-2 fish);
- 35 g of soy sauce;
- 50 g of ketchup and as many walnuts;
Cooking like this:
- Chop onions and garlic finely.
- Crush anchovies and nuts.
- We combine all the ingredients and place them in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Leave in the fridge for two weeks.
- Shake the container daily.
- After 14 days, strain the sauce and use it for its intended purpose.
- 1/2 cup of vinegar (preferably apple);
- 40 grams of pure cool water, as much soy sauce;
- by a quarter tsp. powdered onions, mustard with garlic;
- a quarter tsp. ginger (grated);
- on the tip of the knife - salt with cinnamon.
Cooking the sauce as follows:
- Mix all the ingredients in a skillet, bring to a boil.
- Cook on half an hour for minimum heat.
- Set aside the saucepan to ensure the sauce cools completely.
- We pour seasoning into dark glass bottles and store them in the refrigerator.
- The sauce can be floated 10-12 days later after full cooling.
How to substitute the Worcestershire sauce in the “Caesar” salad
Correct "Caesar" necessarily refuel Worcestershire sauce. But he is not always used. A worthy substitute can be made from such ingredients:
- one egg;
- 3 tbsp. l olive oil;
- 4 drops of Thai fish sauce and 1 tabasco;
- anchovies (2 fish);
- balsamic vinegar and mustard - a quarter hl;
- 40 g fresh lemon juice;
- salt and pepper.
We are preparing a substitute for Worcestershire sauce:
- Boil poached egg. We shift with the help of skimmers in the bowl.
- Gently beat (preferably blender) with mustard, lemon juice and Tabasco. Olive oil is gradually added to the mass, until you get a mayonnaise consistency.
- Finely chop anchovies. They can be replaced with spiced salted sprat.
- Pour the fish in a whipped gas station and another two or two minutes to work as a blender.
- Add Thai sauce and balsamic vinegar to the aromatic blend. Salt and pepper.
Worcestershire sauce is produced by several foreign companies. The original version of the seasoning is made by “Lea & Perrins”. All other manufacturers offer only their variations of sauce.
To prepare the seasoning yourself, you will need a significant range of products and step-by-step instructions. The sauce, like most British dishes, requires that all stages of its production are respected with precision, including cooking and aging.