A traditional dish of Asian cuisine, Khanum, is a steamed dough roll with meat or vegetable filling. However, this dish was so loved by other nations that traditional recipes of Chanum underwent significant changes. In particular, our compatriots have learned how to cook a khanum in the oven, while the taste of it is no worse than that of the traditional one.
When cooking khanum in the oven, you need to know the rules relating to cooking this dish in general, and the secrets related to baking it in the oven.
- The dough for Hanum should be smooth and elastic. Outwardly, it resembles the dough for dumplings. To give the dough a better taste and elasticity, eggs and vegetable oil are added to it, but it can be made without them, using only flour, salt and cold water. The main thing is to knead it well and let it “rest” for at least 30 minutes in a cool place.
- The dough for Hanum can be kneaded in the bread maker. In this case, it is especially tender.
- Stuffing for the filling is better to do it yourself. Then you can be sure that quality ingredients are used for it. By buying ready-made mince in the store, you risk bringing home a poor-quality product, which will not taste good to anybody, and all your efforts will be wasted.
- Stuffing for Hanum can be made without meat, from vegetables alone. But more often they are added to the filling as a supplement to the stuffing. In this case, it turns out more tender and juicy.
- Hanum is baked in the oven, wrapped in foil. At the same time, some water is poured on the baking sheet so that the oven has high enough humidity. The foil itself must be greased with vegetable oil so that the dough does not stick to it.
- Traditionally, a khanum should not be rosy, but if you want it to brown and look even more appetizing, open the foil 10-15 minutes before the dish is ready.
- When preparing a khanum in a mantys box or a slow cooker, the roll is rolled into a ring - otherwise it simply does not fit in this dish. While preparing the khanum in the oven, you can retreat from this tradition by turning the roll in a zigzag, horseshoe or a pretzel. It does not affect the taste of the finished dish, but it will get a more original look.
Khanum is served hot as an independent dish, cutting it into pieces before. It is necessary to drop the sauce to Khanum or immediately pour it over the dish. Most often it is tomato sauce with garlic or sour-garlic sauce with greens, although there are other options. For example, some of our compatriots prefer to serve khanum with mushroom or cheese sauce, which also harmonizes well with the taste of khanum.
Hanum in the oven with meat and vegetables
- wheat flour - 0, 25 kg;
- chicken egg - 1 pc .;
- water - 50 ml;
- lamb - 0, 5 kg;
- potatoes - 150 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- carrots - 100 g;
- butter - 50 g;
- vegetable oil - 20 ml;
- fresh greens - 100 g;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- sour cream - 0, 2 l;
- salt, pepper, zira - to taste.
- Mix sifted flour with salt and egg. Gradually stir in the water. If necessary, its amount can be slightly increased - it is important how much water will take the dough. Stir the dough with a spoon, then lay it on a floured board. Sprinkle flour on your palms and knead the dough. It should be elastic and smooth.
- Rolling the dough into a bowl and covering it with a napkin, send it in the fridge for 40 minutes.
- Wash the meat, dry it and cut it into large pieces. Turn through the meat grinder.
- Add to the minced meat salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste, mix.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them on a coarse grater. Do the same with carrots. Put the vegetables in a bowl of minced meat, mix.
- Finely chop the peeled onion, combine it with minced meat and vegetables.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it into a thin layer. To prevent the dough from sticking, use flour.
- Put the stuffing on the dough, smooth it. Be sure to back away from the edges of 3-4 cm.
- Cut butter into small pieces and spread on top of the filling.
- Finely chop the greens with a knife, divide it in half. Sprinkle with minced meat in one half.
- Roll the dough into a roll. If you wish, you can give it another form, such as an envelope.
- Fold a large sheet of foil in half and place it on a baking sheet.
- Lubricate the foil with vegetable oil and put it on it. Lift the edges of the foil and cover them with khanum from all sides.
- Pour some water into the pan.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees and place a baking tray with a package in it.
- Cook Hanum 45 minutes. 15 minutes before readiness, it can be rolled out to make the dough roast.
- Mix the remaining greens with sour cream, add a little salt and pepper.
- Pass garlic through a press and add to sour cream, mix.
When serving, pour the resulting sauce over the khanum. The sauce can be prepared according to another recipe. This will require 300 g of tomatoes, which need to be peeled, cut into small pieces and stew with greens and chopped garlic. Sour cream in this case is not needed.
Khanum with beef and pumpkin
- wheat flour - 0, 6 kg;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- chicken egg - 1 pc .;
- beef - 0, 6 kg;
- pumpkin (pulp) - 0, 3 kg;
- onions - 0, 2 kg;
- salt, pepper - to taste;
- pork lard - 100 g;
- vegetable oil - 20 ml.
- Sifting flour, add a teaspoon of salt into it, mix.
- Beat the egg with water. Pour this mixture into the dough. Knead it, stirring first with a fork or spoon, then with your hands. As a result, the dough should become elastic and resilient.
- Put the dough in the fridge for 40 minutes.
- Wash the beef, blot with a kitchen towel. Cut into large pieces and roll them through the meat grinder.
- Scroll the fat through a meat grinder and mix with minced meat.
- Peel the pumpkin from the peel and seeds, coarsely rub.
- Crush the onion peeled from the husk with a knife.
- Put the vegetables in a minced meat bowl. Salt and season it, mix.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, divide it in half. Roll out one part and place half of the filling on it, departing from the edges of about 3-4 cm. Roll into a roll. Put it aside. Similarly, form the second khanum.
- Prepare 2 pieces of foil by smearing them with vegetable oil.
- On each sheet of foil put on a roll, coiling them.
- Pack the rolls in foil. Put the convolutions on a baking sheet.
- Pour some water into the pan.
- After heating the oven to 200 degrees, place a pan with khanums in it. Bake them for 45 minutes, 15 minutes before being ready to unfold the foil.
The sauce for Hanum prepared according to this recipe can be used the same as that made for Hanum according to the recipe just above. However, the usual sour cream to him very well suited.
Cooking khanum in the oven is a good idea. In this case, it turns out to be as tender and juicy as it is made according to the traditional recipe, but more ruddy and appetizing. Experimenting with fillings and seasonings, you can make a unique Hanum, and if you also give it an unusual shape, it will turn into a new dish, invented by you personally.