Each nation has its own national dishes. Zhengyalov Hats is one of them. So-called unleavened dough with filling, which are very popular among the residents of Nagorno-Karabakh, as well as among Armenians and Azerbaijanis.
Stuffing for bread is any greens with a small amount of vegetable oil. And the more diverse edible herbs used in the filling, the better.
Spinach, lettuce, quinoa, shepherd's purse, wood louse, sorrel, green onion, nettle, beet tops, dill, parsley, mint, cilantro, basil and others are the most popular herbs for jenjalov hats.
Sometimes cheese is added to the stuffing or onions, browned with butter.
- The dough for jingal hats is kneaded in water, sometimes adding some yogurt or kefir to it. This gives dough softness, and such cakes remain soft even the next day.
- The dough should be as thin as paper, so it should be carefully rolled.
- Before you cut the greens, you need to remove all the hard stems, leaving only the leaves.
- In order to make molded, but not yet roasted tortillas not soaked because of the damp filling, the greens are salted just before putting on the leaves. If there is a lot of dough, then it is recommended to divide it into several parts and salt it in stages.
- Zhengyalov Khats is filled with stuffing as tightly as possible, otherwise the greens will settle down during baking and the cakes will be half empty. Therefore, you need to prepare a lot of greens, so that it is enough for the whole test.
- Fry jenjalov hats in a dry frying pan without adding oil. Flapjacks prepare very quickly - 2-3 minutes on each side.
Zhengyalov Hats with greens
For the test:
- flour - 800 g;
- water - 500 ml;
- salt - 1 tsp;
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp. l
For the filling:
- any chopped greens that can be found - a large bowl (basin);
- salt - to taste;
- black pepper to taste;
- vegetable oil - 1-2 tbsp. l
Method of preparation
- First, make the dough, as it should lie down. Put flour and salt in a bowl. Stir. Make a hole in the middle. Pour water at room temperature. Use a wooden spoon to start mixing the flour with the liquid.
- As soon as the dough thickens, knead it thoroughly with your hands. The dough should be soft enough to not stick to your hands and the table. Otherwise you will not be able to roll it thinly.
- Wrap the dough in a foil and leave for half an hour so that it rests and becomes pliable.
- For now, get some stuffing. Selected edible herbs rinse well in cold water, put on a towel and dry. Remove thick stems and chop the rest of the greens. Fold it in a large bowl.
- Put the prepared dough on a floured table. Divide into pieces the size of an apple and make koloboks from them.
- Flatten each ball to make a thick cake.
- Take one cake and begin to gently roll out with a rolling pin to make a thin juice. So that it does not stick to the table and does not break, heal the countertop flour.
- Put some of the filling in a small bowl and mix with salt, pepper and butter.
- In the middle of the juice place a large portion of the filling, leaving free edges. Begin to pinch the pie from the middle, moving to the edges, at the same time releasing air from it. Fasten the seam with the edge of the palm, then flatten the pie itself so that it becomes flat and wide.
- Heat a dry frying pan. Put the patty stitch down. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Once one side is fried, turn the pie over to the other side. Bring to readiness.
Mistress to note
- It is not necessary to put all herbs in the filling. You can cook jenjalov hats from the greenery that grows in your area. The main thing that the spices are well combined with each other. The aroma of the filling should not be very sharp, and this should be taken into account in the selection of herbs. Do not forget to put sorrel or spinach in the filling. They greatly enrich the taste of baking.
- If there is little greenery, feel free to add the onion or cheese, cooled in oil, into the stuffing.
- Serve Zhengyalov Hats with yogurt or hot tea. They are also good with beer or wine. They can be eaten both cold and hot. To make an appetizing appearance, freshly baked flatbreads can be greased with butter.