Croutons - General Cooking Principles
For all, croutons are known as loaf slices dipped in milk and egg and fried in a pan. But few people know that in addition to this classic recipe, there are many other ways to cook toasts. Croutons can be made with anything: honey, fruits, berries, cheese, dried fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, poppy seeds, sausage, ham, sprats and other products. Depending on what ingredients are used, different ways of cooking.
Most often, “complex” croutons (where several products and fillers are used) are baked in the oven. Well, the usual principle of cooking classic croutons is as follows: the egg is beaten with milk, sugar and a small amount of salt. Then the bread slices are soaked in a mixture and fried until golden brown on both sides in a pan. Finished toast can be served with sour cream, butter, powdered sugar, honey or syrup.
Croutons - preparing food and dishes
To make delicious homemade croutons, you need to prepare a bowl for whipping the milk mass, a whisk and a frying pan. In some recipes, toasts are baked in the oven, so a baking sheet may be required.
If you use a whole loaf, it should be cut into neat even slices. They should not be too thick or thin. The pan must be preheated with butter, and if the croutons are baked in the oven, the oven should be heated up as it should be.
Recipe 1: Croutons
When it comes to croutons, the first thing I remember are the very slices of long loaf, soaked in milk and fried in a pan. This recipe describes exactly this method of cooking classic croutons. Ingredients Required:
- Several slices of loaf;
- Milk - by eye (so that the mixture is enough for soaking);
- Sugar - to taste;
We mix sugar in milk, then we hammer in there the egg and beat the mixture with a whisk. Optionally, a little salt can be added to the mixture. Soak the pieces of bread in the milk mixture. Melt the butter, fry in a pan on both sides until golden brown.
Recipe 2: Cheese toasts
Very tasty toast for breakfast. Any bread will be used, you can even use a not quite fresh loaf. The recipe also uses sausage, which can be replaced with other ingredients if desired.
- Baton (ready sliced);
- Melted cheese;
- Doctor sausage - 120-140 g;
If the loaf is not cut, cut it into thin even pieces. Dip slices of bread on one side into milk. Processed cheese is pre-cooled in the refrigerator, then rub on a grater. Sausage is also grated. Mix cheese with sausage, throw a piece of butter. Put the mixture in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that the cheese and butter melted, and a homogeneous paste is obtained. Lubricate with a mass of pieces from the side that was dipped into milk. Put the croutons on a baking sheet and send in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Recipe 3: Honey Croutons
This recipe is very similar to the classic method of cooking toasts, but here there are several of its nuances. Here vanillin is used for aroma, and instead of sugar, ready-made toasts are smeared with honey. Also, before frying bread rolls in bread crumbs. Ingredients Required:
- Wheat bread - a few slices;
- One egg;
- Spoon breadcrumbs;
- A little honey;
Whip the milk with a whisk along with the egg, add a little salt to the mixture. Pieces of bread are wetted in milk and rolled in breading. Fry croutons in a frying pan until golden brown. Cool slightly and lubricate liquid honey with vanilla. If desired, croutons can be sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Croutons - secrets and tips from the best chefs
- “Yesterday's” loaf is great for making toasts, since it is very well cut;
- The most delicious croutons are obtained by frying them with melted butter, and not with vegetable oil;
- Do not keep pieces of bread in the milk mass for too long, otherwise the bread will soften and turn into a “porridge”;
- For flavor you can add vanillin to the mixture, some replace it with sugar. But in this case, ready-made toast should be smeared with honey or sprinkled with sugar or powdered sugar;
- If croutons are fried in butter, cooking time is slightly increased. The fire in this case must be done less;
- Unsweetened croutons can be sprinkled with herbs and smeared with garlic and creamy sauce. Croutons for children can be served with jam or jam.